WTB: Aleph Amp complete - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2006, 06:49 AM   #21
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
OK, then I'd need to rely on your expertise. Here's some info about my speakers:


"The question about the ideal amplifier for driving the Quad ESL-57 speaker is not easy to answer. It is well known that the '57 offers a very difficult load, because the load is highly reactive and changes from approximately 60 ohms in the bass to 1.8 ohms in the treble region.

In addition to the problems mentioned above, the original Quad speaker has mediocre efficiency ( approximately 82 db/Watt ) and limited power handling : Original Quads will flash up immediately when the voltage on the input terminal exceeds 33 Volt (peak-peak)."

Aleph 30s are a recommended. Do you think the mini mono's handle this speaker? Which is more stable: smd or through hole?
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 09:07 AM   #22
Stones is offline Stones  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Stones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MN
Hello Fishfood,

I feel you will not gain from buying a pre built DIY Aleph, Consider looking out for a second user A30 plenty of these around and if it does not match your needs / system it will be easy to sell on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 03:21 PM   #23
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Yes, I'm starting to think that I need to make sure it works first as you say, then maybe buy the boards and take a chance and build the rest myself. I have been doing a lot of searching around the last couple of day and there is so much information here I'm starting to think I could do it....
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 05:06 PM   #24
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by Fishfood
Yes, I'm starting to think that I need to make sure it works first as you say, then maybe buy the boards and take a chance and build the rest myself. I have been doing a lot of searching around the last couple of day and there is so much information here I'm starting to think I could do it....

It's Pretty easy if you buy boards. Most come with instrctions and part's. You basicaly just follow the steps and put the parts in there correct location's. Brian sells the aleph 30 board's and psu board's. If you need help all you have to do is post on diyaudio and youll get all the help you need.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 06:37 AM   #25
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally posted by Stones
Hello Fishfood,

I feel you will not gain from buying a pre built DIY Aleph, Consider looking out for a second user A30 plenty of these around and if it does not match your needs / system it will be easy to sell on.

Where do you see these for sale? And what is the going price?

I too would love to get a built unit, no time or skill at this point and don't want my first DIY project to be a $550 amp. I can't afford to mess that up.

What does the Mini a kit sell for and what about the others out there. How hard are they to do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 09:40 AM   #26
Stones is offline Stones  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Stones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MN
Quote:
Originally posted by BuckeyesRKiller



Where do you see these for sale? And what is the going price?

I too would love to get a built unit, no time or skill at this point and don't want my first DIY project to be a $550 amp. I can't afford to mess that up.

What does the Mini a kit sell for and what about the others out there. How hard are they to do.



link 1
link 2
link 3

I Am board now the three links above were out of the first five hits on a google search.

Google is your friend
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 06:28 PM   #27
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by Stones





link 1
link 2
link 3

I Am board now the three links above were out of the first five hits on a google search.

Google is your friend
Good Link's thanks!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 01:41 AM   #28
SteveA is offline SteveA  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St Paul, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by BuckeyesRKiller



Where do you see these for sale? And what is the going price?

I too would love to get a built unit, no time or skill at this point and don't want my first DIY project to be a $550 amp. I can't afford to mess that up.

What does the Mini a kit sell for and what about the others out there. How hard are they to do.
BuckeyesRKiller,
I'm former BuckyBadger who has finished an A30 he would be willing to sell. I'd sell for parts value+shipping. The amp is running on ~+/-19V rails so it's a little lower power than stock (+/- 25V if I remember correctly). I have $350 into the amp (a stereo amp).

I built it with a fan (and somewhat smaller heatsinks than my Aleph 5). The A5 I have been enjoying for about 18 months. The A30 gets hot but not as hot the the A5 (which I built with much bigger heat sinks but no fan).

The amp is running on +/-19 volt rails (CRC psu, could be changed to a simple C base supply with closer to the +/-25 volt rails). So it is a little lower power than planned.

If you're interested let me know.

SteveA
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 08:43 AM   #29
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Thumbs up Aleph

Yes I would be interested. I will be out of town till Tuesday, but will check in on my email several times.

Please contact me and I would love to see the pics and get some more info. This would be very cool.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 11:06 AM   #30
SteveA is offline SteveA  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St Paul, MN
Default Re: Aleph

Quote:
Originally posted by BuckeyesRKiller
Yes I would be interested. I will be out of town till Tuesday, but will check in on my email several times.

Please contact me and I would love to see the pics and get some more info. This would be very cool.

I'll get some photos taken. Perhaps you could contact me using the email button (and give me your e-mail address). I can send photos and give you more info.

SteveA
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Complete Aleph P 1.7 parts / kit acliao Swap Meet 5 27th September 2004 02:38 AM
YAA! (Yet Another Aleph) Complete relder Pass Labs 25 24th November 2003 01:14 AM
PCBs for Aleph 2, Aleph 3, Aleph 4 and Aleph 5 amplifiers kristijan-k Swap Meet 64 12th September 2002 07:55 AM
Matching Aleph input devices as a part of the complete amplifier? BrianGT Pass Labs 5 28th March 2002 06:11 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:41 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2