• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Threshold NS 10 PreAmp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have a Threshold NS 10 preamp that was updated by Jon Soderberg at Vintage Amp Repair.:D

However its return to me via FedEx Ground services, was damaged by said carrier.:hot:

The power switch was broken off and the transformer was dislodged from its mounting prongs.:bawling:

So it is repairable at this point, no damage to circuit board or the modules.

At 63 no longer in the diy game. So I will be taking offers on the NS 10. The NS 10 is a stellar preamp and here is a chance to acquire a very good late model NS 10 with the IEC connector on the back.

E mail with any info you may need and additional pics.

My best to all.:)

Attachments

• fedex damage 001.jpg
    fedex damage 001.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 615
Have had a couple of e mails on this. But can not respond to the respondents, due to them having a block on their mail.

If you want me to respond, allow the e-mail to be sent.

Since this was posted the Threshold NS 10 has been totally restored. It is fully functional, with new transformer, on/off switch,new alps volume control, balance pots, black gates,etc.

Fully gone through and brought back to specification.:D

Since I am restoring my NS10 right now, what trafo did you use?
Mine has a pcb mounted EI trafo. Mine has the IEC connector, but the trafo is not shielded like the one on the picture above.

Fully gone through and brought back to specification.
Thats great, so now you have 2 of those?:D You would probably be better off selling it on Ebay. There are too many DIY'ers around here;)

Steen:)

A torroid, unsheilded -
Thanks, but I dont think
I will use a torroid since this would change the preamp too much.
I am aiming at keeping the NS10 as close to the original as possible.Dont worry Jacco:D
Also, many people claims that an EI sound sweeter. I have mounted 17 pairs of new shiny RCA's, (I have the MC box also) Man that looks swell;)

Steen:cool:

Steen,

I wasn't referring to original or not, toroids are great for power amplifiers but a rotten choice for all other applications.

I also used to think toroids were the holy solution(long time ago fortunately) but even for output stage powersupplies there are "block" type transformers which are better. Only problem is they cost both your legs and the girlfriend. And using a toroidal on an NS10 is the worst you can do, read the NS10 specs again !
Remembering all the exotic brands that used toroids for pre-amps puts a silly smile on my face nowadays, opposed to the production years when the same made me drool.
Replace the original one, place it outside the case or do some exotic shielding labor. The looks of the original transformer and the era it originates from make it worthwhile to replace it.(imho)
(yoehoe Magura, come out, come out, where ever you are)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.