• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

oscilloscope at victoria st. vinnie's. twelve bux, cheap!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think it sort of works. I really don't know anything about these things. It powers on, but emits a quiet humming noise. With nothing hooked up to it, there is a trace that looks like a partial waveform. I would think that it should be a stationary point with no input. I fiddled with the dials but couldn't get the trace to stand still. Probably not worth shipping as it's rather big and heavy.

I took the Heathkit one because it has a stationary trace and maximum frequency of 150kHz, rather than the Starkit's 75kHz. Also it doesn't hum.

Max

maxro said:
I think it sort of works. I really don't know anything about these things. It powers on, but emits a quiet humming noise. With nothing hooked up to it, there is a trace that looks like a partial waveform. I would think that it should be a stationary point with no input. I fiddled with the dials but couldn't get the trace to stand still. Probably not worth shipping as it's rather big and heavy.

I took the Heathkit one because it has a stationary trace and maximum frequency of 150kHz, rather than the Starkit's 75kHz. Also it doesn't hum.

Max

You may be seeing AC noise, change the "time/div" control and the trace should move faster, you should not get a dot. Hook it up to a test tone (you can download some from my web site below) and see if you can see the wave. You want to go at like 2 or 5v/div (vertical) and vary the horiz (time div), AC couple.

You read these per division on the screen so at 1v/div (vertical) a trace that goes up 1 div = 1volt. time/div is on horiz, note that frequency = 1/time to compute what freq you are seeing.

have fun, you can figure it out.

lgreen said:

You may be seeing AC noise, change the "time/div" control and the trace should move faster, you should not get a dot. Hook it up to a test tone (you can download some from my web site below) and see if you can see the wave. You want to go at like 2 or 5v/div (vertical) and vary the horiz (time div), AC couple.

You read these per division on the screen so at 1v/div (vertical) a trace that goes up 1 div = 1volt. time/div is on horiz, note that frequency = 1/time to compute what freq you are seeing.

have fun, you can figure it out.

Well, actually that was on the humming one that I didn't get. Probably the ac hum I was hearing that was showing up on the screen.

I was just playing with mine and getting a nice horizontal line, but it started to smell bad (no magic smoke, though), so I turned it off and unplugged it. I'll investigate further, later on. Hope I didn't pick the wrong one.

Max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.