• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Strathearn(?) Ribbons and Tranformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have 4 Ribbon units (and transformers) that I acquired from (I believe) a Speaker Builder ad probably 20 years ago. My understanding was that they are Strathearns although there are no manufacturers marks anywhere on them. They look more or less professionally made.

All four function (with the transformers) although one seems to have a frame-to-diapgragm buzz which I assume can be adjusted or damped out. They are made with an extremely thin mylar diaphragm bonded to aluminum ... or vice versa. No where is there evidence of tearing.

How they "sound" is anybody's guess. I have never used them. Bench tested with their "backs" down(with a boom box without a high pass filter) they played quite loud and extend lower than I would have anticipated.

Will send pics on request.

I would like to get $200 for the four units and transformers plus shipping.

Would be willing to trade (in part) for 12 - 10mfd polypropylene audio grade capacitors (for Apogee Calipers)and/or a defunct ... or not ... linaeum driver (Radio shack or otherwise)... for dissection purposes.

Dan Brummitt
dbrummitt@sosinet.net

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.