• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Sony SCD-1 Firmware Upgrade Chip Version 2.53

Sony SCD-1 Firmware Upgrade Chip Version 2.53

If you own a Sony SCD-1 or a 777ES SACD Player and it has Firmware Version 2.40 and you experiance a loud burst of noise at the end of some tracks, YOU NEED THIS CHIP! This is the chip Sony released to fix that problem. Will upgrade any Sony SCD-1 or 777ES Cd player. I ordered this chip just before they were back ordered. it arrived after i sold the player. Now is your chance to buy one of these rare unobtanium chips!

$75.00 plus shipping:

$7.00 Fedex Ground Shipping within the US
$20.00 Global Express Shipping to Most countries.

Forgot to mention. to check what firmware level you have.

Press the "Text" Button on your CD Player and at the same time press the "Check" button on the remote. A long string of numbers will appear on the display. The first four are the firmware version 0240 = V2.40, 0253 = V2.53 etc. To get out of that mode. Just cycle the power on your player.

jackh said:
My Sony 777ES Players' first four numbers are 2200. Does that mean it's version 2.20? Will the chip bring it to V2.53 and are there any sonic improvements?

I just double check and your right, there is no Zero for the first digit. yes you have Version V2.20 firmware and you should upgrade. I dont know what all the differences there were between levels. Sony hasnt published that to my knowledge. I know that the change from V2.40 to V2.53 was only to fix the noise burst problem. And i do know that Sony jumped from V2.20 to V2.40 so there must have been significant changes there. and i know that V2.0 has TOC problems so....

I don't how well this will appear, I've just copied and pasted it from the technical bulletin. BTW, the chip is in stock at Sony and would cost £71.44 in the UK.

SYMPTOM
With specific SACD discs, a loud noise may be heard right after playing the last track.
CAUSE
Malfunctioning software.
SOLUTION
Replace IC716 on the Main Board with V2.53 ("002530" is marked on the IC). Note that the improved ROM version
will be supplied under the original part number listed in the Service Manual.
Ref. Former description New description Part number
IC716 MBM29F400TC-90PF-S23 MBM29F400TC-90PF-S253 8-759-663-89
APPLICABLE SERIAL NUMBERS
SCD-1 (CED) 500001~500739
SCD-777ES (CED) 500001~501366

Still working on the instruction sheet. Adobe is not co-operating with me and i am having to reformat the photos as the file was too large at first.

Instructions are very simple however. Make sure to unplug power.

1- remove allen head screws in outter rim of top cover.

2- lift cover off. may stick to rubber bumpers. may take a little effort to lift off.

3- Lift cover and unplug cable to door assembly. remove top cover.

4- Locate IC716 on the Main Board just behind and to the left of the front display.

5- Slide black plastic IC cover assembly to the left. may require some careful effort. Beware of small parts on PCB in the area. cover will click. then be free to lift off.

6- remove IC by lifting straight up. Make sure to note Orientation by Dot on the face of the IC.

7- Replace IC. Make sure to place new IC in the same orientation. Gently push IC down to seat fully/

8- Replace top IC cover. Push down slightly and slide to the right. Cover will click into place. May take some effort gently

9- Replace top cover, make sure to plug cover door cable back into motherboard.

10- Plug in power and Test. If Display comes up, your OK, check firmware revision by pressing Text on the player and Check on the remote at the same time. 0253xxxxxx should come up on the display. power off and replace top cover screws.

Pretty simple! the real deal coming soon!

Zc

P.S with exchange rate and shipping. how does my price of $75.00USD compare??? I would be willing to flex slightly on price to match. As i have mentioned in other post's. i am not doing this to make a profit so much as to recover my cost's and provide a service.

Zc
[/QUOTE]

Better; if you use USPS global priority you should be able to do it for $90 ie GBP50. also it is a hassle to order in UK because you have to go thru' inefficient middle men.

Suggest you do the sled motor as well worldwide.

fmak said:
P.S with exchange rate and shipping. how does my price of $75.00USD compare??? I would be willing to flex slightly on price to match. As i have mentioned in other post's. i am not doing this to make a profit so much as to recover my cost's and provide a service.

Zc

Better; if you use USPS global priority you should be able to do it for $90 ie GBP50. also it is a hassle to order in UK because you have to go thru' inefficient middle men.

Suggest you do the sled motor as well worldwide.
[/QUOTE]

Global priority shipping adds $20.00usd for a total of $95.00, I cna drop the price to $90.00 with shipping no problem.

I will look into the sled motors.

Zc