• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Heathkit A-9, A-9C Tube Amplifiers for sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Clearing out more of my projects. I'm listing these here before I put them up on Ebay. I have one Heathkit A-9 and one Heathkit A-9C amplifiers for sale. I had originally planned on rebuilding these, but work related stuff is going to prevent me from spending any serious time on DIY for at least the next 6-12 months.

AFAIK, these are 20 watt push-pull amplifiers based around a pair of 6L6 tubes. The gain stages/tone controls/phase splitters use 12AU7's, and I believe the phono input uses a 12AX7. Rectification is provided by a 5V4(C?).

I do not know the working condition of either of these amplifiers. I don't have a variac, so I haven't fired them up.

They each include a full tube compliment and are physically in pretty good condition. There are some paint chips on the transformers and some small rust spots on the chassis, but overall they look nice. The A-9C has knobs, but the A-9 does not.

Physically, they appear to be identical to each other, except that the A-9C has a pilot light on the front. Finally, I also have the original assembly manual + schematic for the A-9C, and I believe I have a printed version of the manual for the A-9 around here somewhere.

More details can be found at:

http://www.heathkit-museum.com/hifi/a-9c.shtml

Online schematic:

http://www.heathkit-museum.com/hifi/images/a-9cs.gif

These are heavy, please take that into consideration if you would like them shipped. I'm based out of Seattle, and these are available for local pickup.

I hope someone is willing to try and give these beasts the TLC they need to make them sing again!

I'll try to post pictures of them later today if I have time.

I can be e-mailed at:

m ik e a t m o th e r o n e d a wt c o m

I would guess that you probably need to replace the electrolytic caps at the minimum. You may or may not need some new tubes for them. I would also recommend a variac so that you can bring the amps up slowly, which is the main reason why I haven't tested them yet.

They could also be perfectly fine.. But ultimately the caps will need replacing due to age.

Here's some pictures:

Heathkit A-9C #1
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Heathkit A-9C #2

Also two addendums:

1) These are both heathkit a-9c's. One of them has a pilot light, the other does not.

2) It looks like the power plug on the A-9C #2 needs to be replaced.

So what you get is possibly a working-out-of-the-box pair of 20W P-P tube amp monoblocks, or ones that could be made to work without too much fuss.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.