• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Jordan JX92S full range drivers in stainless steel enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a pair (with a spare driver) of Jordan JX92S full range aluminum drivers mounted in cabinets fabricated from 10-gauge stainless steel. These enclosures are based on the 8 liter reflex design on Jordan's website. However to obtain maximum rigidity and minimize internal standing waves, the dimensions have been reconfigured into a semi cylinder while maintaining the same internal volume and cross sectional area.

I’ve built Greg Monfort’s 48" MLTL in Baltic birch and a variant of Jordan’s VTL transmission line in MDF. With the exception of bass response the aluminum drivers mounted in steel are superior in every way.

My original plan was to go into business introducing a high end line of speakers consisting of metal drivers in metal enclosures. The premise being that superior materials produce superior results. MDF and even the best hard woods are cheap and easy to work with; stainless steel however is considerably far more costly and definitely more challenging to work with. Now I know why there isn’t a manufacture willing to market a product like this…

I’ll try to post some pictures in the next few days. Here's a chance for you to own something truly unique. Pitch me an offer if you are interested. I’ve got $900.00 into the cabinets. A pair of JX92S drivers sells for $360.00 including shipping. Mark Audio based in Hong Kong is the distributor for EJ Jordan in North America, Creative Sound is no longer a handling Jordan.

Johnny, sorry to hijack your (?)thread. I've not heard many people expressing the opinion that stainless steel is superior to wood.

As my brother is a stainless steel fabricator, I would be in a good position to exploit any concepts that emerge......<holds breath, but not for too long>

Thanks Cal

Attachments

• jordan 1.jpg
    jordan 1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 865
JohnnyBoy said:
That was easy.

very nice. i was thinking along the same lines. what is the OD of the tube you used. I was thinking of about 8". and making a talle tube about 24-26" tall. to mate with an LCD TV.

I assume you used a tube and then cut of one arc and welded on a flat SS plate.

Did you prefer SS to Aluminum because SS would be stiffer. What is the wall thickness.

Any reason wy you prefered SS over aluminum. How did you damp the resonances?

SS can be polished or "veneered" with anodised aluminum.

Thanks Navin. I did not use tube or pipe, but had a machine shop roll 8 gauge stainless. The OD is 20cm. I preferred stainless to aluminum for a few reasons being more mass and easier to finish. You can't tell that the top and bottom nor the front plates are wielded. With stainless the seams buffed out quite nice. Damping simply consists of 2mm foam matting all around, including the back of the driver and around the metal port - very effective.

Damping simply consists of 2mm foam matting all around, including the back of the driver and around the metal port - very effective. [/B]

2mm?

BTW I hope you realise that given that I am in India is makes little sense for me to ship these speakers from BC to India. BTW you do live in beautiful country.

I was always planning to make enclosures out of aluminum or SS to match my LCD TV and am just trying to iron out the loose ends.

It's a food grade, beyond that I do not remember.

Using the following online calculator...

http://www.abe.msstate.edu/~fto/tools/vol/parthcylinder.html

Radius = 10cm
Height = 16cm
Length = 30cm

Gives an internal volume of just a tad over the desired 8 liters.

Note for the 8 liter BR, Jordan specifies 15cm wide 18cm deep. That yields a cross sectional area 270cm. The reconfigured dimensions for the semi cylinder yield a cross sectional area of 269.4297. Not bad, eh?

However the shop that did the primary fabrication understood my measurements to be OD and not ID leaving me with an internal volume of 7.47 liters, which I believe is closer Jim Griffin’s award winning design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.