• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Carver C-9 sonic hologram thingy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry already got one. Would not sell it. It's biggest shortcomming is noise (see below). Of course if one simply doesn't approve of such things there no common ground.

Actually, I got a copy of the schematic and have started to layout a board with good modern opamps in stead of all those RC????s that are esseentially just quad 741's. Also plan to use good quality MKT caps 1% resistors and build a much better power supply. Finally a few other improvements like reed relay switches.

I had the boards almost laid out before a new job and a relocation swide tracked me. The only problem seemed to be that layout exceed the pin limit of the software so I statred over with the idea of making a mother board plus two daughter boards for the sections of the L&R channel s that bare identical.

It will be 6-12 months now before I can get back at it but if it works. I'll post info and maybe Gerbers on the forum.

Carver thingy

Does it work? I remember when this thingy first came out. Of course, Bob Carver was the king of hype and attractive copywriting. Even people who didn't own a stereo would want one after reading the ads and the reviews.

I've never heard one. I own a RG Dynamics dynamic range expander circa 1980 or so that works very, very well. After the advent of CD's, the need to expand dynamic range and get rid of motor noise and surface roar (ala LP records) kind of went away. It still makes FM sound very good.

What's the thingy worth? I might be interested.

Yes they work. If you set it up right. That means positioning the speaker and yourself just so. Even then it does not work with every recording. When it doesn't work it does little harm and in any case has a bypass switch. When the recording is such the results range fom nice to spectacular. Actually I usually find the effect more realistic and listenable than the surrond derived by early Doby ProLogic. PL-II is another mater. Good multi-channel SACD or DVD-A is generally better and seating and speaker positioning is not so critical. The down side is as said noise which may or may not be noticable depending og your system and how loud you play it. Distortion figures are meaningless since by intent the input signal is substantially altered..

I suspect the ambience enhancing software you find with many soundcard derives from the technology. Cross feed circuits on some headphone amps are most likely in the same category. hey are all playing with the distribution of left and right channel information.

Most interesting...

Any one want this piece of ****?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/jimmy154/sonic001.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/jimmy154/strin004.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/jimmy154/strin005.jpg

Make me an offer.

Ah ****, those pics suk, but it looks good in reality.

I also have a broken H/K CD 401 and H/K hk200xm tape decks that are not working.

I'd like the C9 if you still have it. How much to ship to Norman, OK 73069?

Thanks!
Chuck K
cmk59@yahoo.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.