• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

would someone donate me a pair of tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey!

i'v been wanting to play with tubes for a long time, to see what all the fuss is about, but never got aroud to buying anything since my funds as a student living away from home are rather scarce.

so i'm making this thread in case someone has a pair of tubes that for some reason isn't going to be used for an amp any more, for me to experiment with, getting to know tube audio!
Insted of throwing them in the litter, send em' to me, so to say :)

so if anyone do, and wish to donate me a tube or two, I would very much appreciat it!

Thanks
Marius

Just having a pair of tubes and sockets for them is not going to get you much closer to a tube amplifier. I would seriously suggest that you try to locate a vintage Hi-Fi console from the 50's-60's that has tubes. These show up at curb-side here in Canada as trash or may be found at Goodwill and used stores for cheap. You can start by using as-is and then experiment with modifications. The chassis can be pulled out of the large cabinet if desired to save room.

If you want to DIY from scratch old TV sets from the 50's have valuable parts such as power transformers, 5U4 recifier tubes, often 6SN7 tubes that are very, very good preamp and phase splitter tubes for hi-fi use and other tubes of value for hi-fi as well. The power transformers are usually perfectly suited for modest power, high quality tube amp applicaions.

Netlist said:
What were you looking for?
I've got hundreds of old tubes lying there, mostly TV, some radio, most used, some broken, some probably pretty good...

/Hugo :)

why, are there so many different types?
If you have some small, low voltage types lying around...

dhaen said:
Maybe we should invite Demostenes to post here.

Arnold is a Norwegian dealer who posts on RAT. The username Demostenes seems to be dormant.

Why not send him an email anyway. Don't forget to ask for sockets to match;)

well, there's the problem with money again, shops rarly give away stuff for free.
I'l send a mail if my quarry isn't resolved i another way though.

rcavictim said:
Just having a pair of tubes and sockets for them is not going to get you much closer to a tube amplifier.

why is that? what else is needed?
i do have a fair assortment of various electronics allready.
I'v been into chipamping and a bit of solid state for a while. :)

thanks for your reply's all!
-Marius

There are an enormous number of types. A large percentage are useable in some way for audio.
Not many types are useable for low voltage, most need 100V or more.

Demostenes is a regular poster on the RAT newsgroup, so tubes are his passion as well as a business. I'm sure he'll be able to find something for you. Perhaps you could offer the postage.

Well most tubes are just a single or double amplifying element, just as a discrete transistor is. Your chipamps have many transistors inside on package. It is possible to make an amplifier with one tube.

Because tubes are high impedance devices, resistor values tend to be higher and capacitor values lower than transistor circuits. Transformers are regularly used to convert the impedance to a lower value, such as to drive a loudspeaker.

dhaen said:
There are an enormous number of types. A large percentage are useable in some way for audio.
Not many types are useable for low voltage, most need 100V or more.

Demostenes is a regular poster on the RAT newsgroup, so tubes are his passion as well as a business. I'm sure he'll be able to find something for you. Perhaps you could offer the postage.

Well most tubes are just a single or double amplifying element, just as a discrete transistor is. Your chipamps have many transistors inside on package. It is possible to make an amplifier with one tube.

Because tubes are high impedance devices, resistor values tend to be higher and capacitor values lower than transistor circuits. Transformers are regularly used to convert the impedance to a lower value, such as to drive a loudspeaker.

dhaen, thanks for your reply.

You confirm the general impression i allready had conserning tubes.
and i will contact Arnold to se if we can perhaps come to a agreement.

Peter M. said:
Heisann!

What is it that you have in your fair assortment of electronics?

Transformers.. High Voltage rectifier diodes.. H.V. psu capacitors..

And what is it that you want to build? A tube-pre-amp for your chip-amp? Or something else?

Here is an example of a very simple cheap to make amp:

http://music-club.rutgers.edu/headfonz/6EM7-amp.html

Hilsen
Peter (også fra det iskalde nord)

God kveld!

A fair assortment of electronics would be what i'v gatherd from dead articles, bought and scavaged through the 3 years i'v been into electronics, quite a lot.
rectifiers i have tons of, HV caps i can rip out of computer switchmodes or TV's. transformers such as output irons i dont have, but i'm not planing to try making anything more than perhaps a buffer stage, or perhaps a small gainstage for a preamp or a headphone amp. however, mains tranformers i altso have quite a lot of.
I dont see the point in using tubes for power aplications, when class D or even just class AB is so much more efficient and have so much less distortion in most cases.
I'l check the link though.

thanks for your replys guys!
Marius

Peter M. said:
Yep!

<snip>
Regarding using tubes for power applications, in my experience it is because good tubeamps allways sound more natural and involving than good solid state amps.

Regards,
Peter

You tell 'em Peter! That is exactly my experience as well. Sand is practical for high power applications like commercial sound reinforcement, or for high damping factor/high power for domestic subwoofers but for home hi-fi IMO tube/valve amps rule.

Today when i got home, two pair of tubes were waiting in my mailbox.
they were two 6em7 and two 6HA5 with the sockets to match!

So i want to thank you Peter!
this is very much appreciated!
i couldn't have afforded these myself.

now i just have to tidy up my workdesk, and i'l be all over those tubes, making amps in no time :D

cheers
Marius

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.