• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: TO-220 regulator boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I had some boards made for use with most TO-220 regulators, but I have more than I plan on using because of the minimum order from the pcb maker...

These boards work great with the LT1084,5 regulators and also the LMS1585 and other National regulators. I designed them to be compact and for use with the single rail Tripath chip amps but they could be used as the regulator stage for any other sort of power supply. You could even build a regulated +/- supply or double regulated supply with two boards. The current capability for each one could be up to 5A but that depends on the regulator and the current capability of the supply before the regulator. The output voltage is variable and can be adjusted with the potentiometer (the regulator must have adjustable output voltage capability as well).

Here are some photos of the PCBs and a populated board that I've been using as a supply to test some amp3s.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have 2 of the large PCBs with the 4 separate regulator circuits and 2 of the smaller single regulator PCBs. I cut out the single regulator PCBs myself and can cut the 4 circuit boards into 4 singles, 2 doubles, 1 triple, or not at all. Basically, any way you wish.

The price will be $5 shipped anywhere in the US for each single regulator circuit (not sure what it would cost to send outside the US but it shouldn't be that much more and would just be added to the above cost). If you want 2 that would be $10. If you want all 10 that would be $50. Also specify if you want single boards or more than one circuit on a board if you want more than one.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Here's a labeled PCB diagram with part descriptions and the parts I used in parentheses.

IN, GND, OUT connections: 0.079in hole (I used 14awg wire but it was a very TIGHT fit)
C1: 0.3in (7.5mm) lead spacing, radial electrolytic (3900uF 35V Nichicon HE)
C2: 0.3in (7.5mm) lead spacing, axial ceramic or radial polyester/polypropylene (0.1uF 50V ceramic)
C3: 0.2in (5mm) lead spacing, radial electrolytic (330uF 25V Nichicon HE)
C4: 0.3in (7.5mm) lead spacing, axial ceramic or radial polyester/polypropylene (0.01uF 50V ceramic)
C5: 0.2in (5mm) lead spacing, radial electrolytic (27uF 35V Nichicon PW)
R: 0.25in lead spacing, 0.125W metal film (100ohm)
Rpot: 0.1in (2.5mm) lead spacing, cermet potentiometer (2kohm cermet)
Regulator: 3-pin TO-220 voltage regulator (LMS1585)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I tested my boards with a 13.5VDC @ 1.3A wall-wart unregulated input, a 16ohm load, and my oscilloscope. With the regulated output voltage set to 13.85V the unregulated input voltage dropped to 15.5V with a peak to peak ripple of 0.54V. At an output current of 13.85V/16ohm=0.87A the output voltage ripple was reduced to only 5mV peak to peak, and that ripple was due to the weak transformer not charging the caps fast enough and the regulator's input to output voltage approaching the minimum limit (1.3V for the LMS1585 regulator I used).

When I tried to increase the output voltage up to 16V, the unregulated input voltage dropped to 15.44V and the regulated output voltage only went up to 14.20V (the minimum dropout voltage of the regulator I used was 1.3V). The upper peaks of the unregulated voltage waveform were flattened quite a bit, indicating that the transformer couldn't adequately handle charging the caps and the current draw of the load. As a result, the output ripple also increased. With a capable unregulated supply with a minimal ripple voltage, the regulator board should have very good 120Hz ripple rejection with a 22uF to 27uF ripple rejection cap.

I also listened to an amp3 with the regulator board in line with my very capable unregulated 23VDC supply. The amp sounded nice, smooth, and detailed with no lack of bass or harshness in the upper frequencies. Exactly like the amp3 I usually use in my system.

I can also provide DigiKey part numbers for the components I used on my boards if anyone is interested.

Brian

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I got around to redesigning the regulator board and came up with what you see in the attached picture. Each PCB is 3.725in by 2.75in and contains 4 separate regulator layouts. It can be cut up to obtain 4 single regulator boards that are 2.75in by 0.9in.

They're designed to accommodate standard through hole parts and any TO-220 package regulator. These boards will allow the use of film decoupling caps with 7.62mm or 10.16mm lead spacing at both the input and output. Of course other types of through hole caps could also be used instead. This design also includes the option to install an output to input protection diode. There is 1 Vin and 1 Gnd hole at the input side and 3 Vout and 3 Gnd holes at the output side for easily wiring up to three separate loads.

I haven't had any boards made yet but a couple people have expressed some interest in these. If you're also interested please let me know by posting here. Please include a quantity as well so I can see about how many to get.

Here's the price breakdown at certain quantities (shipping is not included, but shouldn't be too much extra depending on where you live - I'm located in PA, USA).
1-20 single boards @ $4.00 each
21-40 single boards @ $3.75 each
41-80 single boards @ $3.00 each

I forgot to mention that these will be two layer boards with solder mask and silkscreen and the parts listed earlier in the thread will also work with this new design.

Attachments

• vregv1.0.gif
    vregv1.0.gif
    47.7 KB · Views: 847
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I received a couple questions about whether the prices were for an entire PCB of 4 as shown in the above picture or for single circuits. The prices I quoted are for single regulator circuits, not an entire PCB with 4 circuits. I wish you could have PCBs with soldermask and silkscreen made for that price! I'd be having a few of my other project PCBs made if that were the case :) Regardless, if you'd like an uncut board with all 4 regulator circuits then just say so. The cost would still be 4x that of a single circuit.

They would make good supplies for Tripath based amps or even a good quality regulated bench supply - you would just need a transformer, bridge rectifier, and wire. The performance of the circuit is entirely dependent on the quality of the regulator you use. I actually plan to keep a bunch and build such a supply for testing out stuff. I'm really not making anything by offering these. I only want 16 separate regulators (4 PCBs) but thought I'd see if anyone else wanted some before I went to order them.

As it stands I'll wait a couple more days to see if anyone else is interested and put in an order on Wednesday.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
This is of the top side. You can see the copper pour connecting all the input components and the output copper pour connecting all the output components. There is just one trace connecting the necessary components to the adjust pin of the regulator. Also note how all pads are connected to the copper pours all around. I did not use thermals.

Attachments

• dsc01618.jpg
    dsc01618.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 277
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Here's the board next to a ruler for reference. Another thing worth mentioning is that these boards were done with 2oz. of copper (heavier than normal). They charged me some extra for that which means I have to increase the price a little bit. The new price is $5 per individual regulator circuit plus shipping. These things are light enough that I can send them via a regular envelope unless you want a whole bunch, in which case I'd use a padded envelope.

I can take paypal, checks, or cash through the mail. There are 32 individual circuits up for sale (8 boards of 4).

Attachments

• dsc01620.jpg
    dsc01620.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 238
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
They are very good quality boards. The place where I work gets boards from the manufacturer I had make these and they always do a very good job for a good price. Shipping to England and pretty much anywhere else in Europe will only be $2.

So three full boards are now reserved. 5 boards of 4 are still unspoken for.

My paypal address is the same as my email address: bww129 at gmail.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.