• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Focal T120TD5 Tweeter needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zalytron's prices were much lower before Focal stopped manufacturing these drivers. Now that they are the only one that have them on the shelf, it seems that they have jacked up their costs appreciably.

If anyone has a set used that they are looking to sell, I would be interested.
:att'n:

I think it is a matter of reference. The cost of these parts here was roughly 65 - 70.00 before now they're 90.00. Respectible dealer absolutely, taking advantage of being the only one on the block with the item, also yes
Ofcourse it is a matter of principle.

I sold mine for around 90 US a piece on ebay.. They were the TD120TXC or something like that though...apparently sounded better than the TD5. I had no guilty feelings though..because they were not being made anymore and I paid...80 euro's for them when I bought them.

Anyway good luck with your quest.

Regards,
Bas

I think you might be remembering the price on the older versions of that tweeter. I think I paid $84 a year and a half ago. Zalytron held that pricing for quite a while. With Focal's new strategy, Elliot likely has to buy even larger quantities. This means his inventory costs are higher, so a price increase is not necessarily just being greedy. I have no connection with Zalytron other than being a satisfied repeat customer.

I like this tweeter, but Zaph's measurements of other tweeters have got me wondering. I am about to buy some 27TBFC/G to try out.

FWIW, I built virtually identical systems using the T120TD5 and Fountek JP3 and noted very little difference. Both identical cabinets use the Focal 6W4254 actively crossed over at 2400 Hz, 4th order electrical LR. The XOs include phase correction and EQ for the lower response peak of each driver.

I am using a Pioneer DVL-919, Yamaha DSP-A1 as a DAC/preamp, protoboard XOs with NE5532s, a pair of Pass/Thagard A75s (using balanced inputs) and homebrew interconnects with Dayton and Neutrik parts, if that matters to you.

The Focal seems to do cymbals a hair more realistically, while the Fountek seems better on chimes and bells. Either one is perfectly acceptable.

On my to do list are EQ out the rise of the JP3's top octave and try out other op amps. Once I settle on a configuration I'll build it on my MOXLite boards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.