• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB: Affordable phono stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently got a hold of quite a few very nice jazz LPs. I also started "storing" quite a few 80's rock LPs. Now I want to listen to them but I don't have a phono stage between my turntable and my LM3875 amp.

I love building stuff but I'm lousy at getting parts so I'm either looking for something that has already been built or something that comes with all the "pieces" although if there's a way to get all the necessary parts from one or two supplier with a parts list I can do it. What I surely don't want to do is have to find every single part's catalog number because 1- I don't have the time for this right now and 2- this information already exists somewhere.

Please let me know hat you guys have in mind either through this thread or by private emails. I'd be willing to pay around 100-150 USD, maybe a little bit more it there is a significant sound quality bump.

I know I won't get ultra high "esoteric" quality in this price range but I'm willing to live with it at this time. Someday, my budget will permit something higher end but for now, it'll have to do.

Bill Fitzpatrick said:

Thanks for the link but as far as I can tell, the Pearl project is not available at this time. I'll keep an eye on it though. :(

kmj said:
http://www.hagtech.com/

the bugle with powersupply perhaps? if i remember correct there's a partslist from mouser in the manual.

That is a pretty interesting project. And the parts list is awesome. :D I might try the buggle first and if it sounds good in my audio system, I'll build the power supply.

steenoe said:
Check out this thread;)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57398
The Phonoclone is for MC pickups, the VSPS is for MM.

Steen.:)

As far as I can tell, those projects have not yet been offered as a kit. :( These sound pretty interesting too. I guess I'll have to get in touch with those working on the projects to know if they intend to eventually make them available as a kit.

I'm sure there are others out there in my price range. Please keep them coming. I'm certainly not the only one looking for an affordable phono stage so by helping me, you are helping others.

Bugle Phono Preamp

fireman said:

That is a pretty interesting project. And the parts list is awesome. :D I might try the buggle first and if it sounds good in my audio system, I'll build the power supply.

For a review of the Bugle Phono Preamp, see:

http://www.audioxpress.com/reviews/media/403hansen2090.pdf

That article will give you a few more leads on affordable phono preamps.

GG,

Thanks for the link man ! :)

As I said in my previous post, the Bugle is definitely what I am looking for. Now this review kinda put the icing on the cake. I know I wont get the same "performance" a 2 000 $ preamp would give me but for the money I want to spend, that definitely looks like the way to go.

Now, all I have to figure out is when I'm going to have the time to build it. Fortunately, that's the knid of project that can easily be completed during a rainy evening. I wonder when it's gonna rain...

I'll let you guys know how it sounds when I'm finished.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.