• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Wanted: DIY amplifier builder with experience. I need a 0.7 ohm stable amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Audiophilenoob,

The main disadvantage of putting a 1 ohm series resistor is the loss of 50% of the amp's power into heat. If you put 10 watts into the ribbon, you also waste 10 watts of heat in the resistor. BUT...many amplifiers sound much better, "sweeter", "warmer" driving a 2 ohm load than a 1 ohm load. My 160lb Krells will easily push 1 ohm, but sound sweeter with a ribbon driving 2 ohm loads. If your current amp will only drive 4 ohms, just increase the resistor to 3 ohms. Just avoid a step-up transformer if you want the best sound.

You can make a non-inductive 1 ohm resistor by contact cementing a sheet of household aluminum foil onto a piece of plexiglass and cutting a serpintine with your Xacto knife.

It will probably cost close to $2K to build the ribbons of your dreams. I would FOCUS on this massive and very dangerous task.

LineSource said:
Hi Audiophilenoob,

The main disadvantage of putting a 1 ohm series resistor is the loss of 50% of the amp's power into heat. If you put 10 watts into the ribbon, you also waste 10 watts of heat in the resistor. BUT...many amplifiers sound much better, "sweeter", "warmer" driving a 2 ohm load than a 1 ohm load. My 160lb Krells will easily push 1 ohm, but sound sweeter with a ribbon driving 2 ohm loads. If your current amp will only drive 4 ohms, just increase the resistor to 3 ohms. Just avoid a step-up transformer if you want the best sound.

You can make a non-inductive 1 ohm resistor by contact cementing a sheet of household aluminum foil onto a piece of plexiglass and cutting a serpintine with your Xacto knife.

It will probably cost close to $2K to build the ribbons of your dreams. I would FOCUS on this massive and very dangerous task.

Right now it looks like it will be around $600 in parts per ribbon.... as long as this india supplier for 5 micron aluminum comes through

well I don't care if I lose half the power... cause the QSC 850 I will use on the tweets is 430 watts at 2 ohms .... so who cares...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
. cause the QSC 850 I will use on the tweets is 430 watts at 2 ohms

Sounds like a good way to test the tweters until you get them refined, For the final decision and implementation there are probably amps that will sound better. Perhaps when the speakers are finished, you could start on a high end DIY amp project without time pressure-you can listen to your QSC while building its replacement. Lots of newbies making amps around here.:cool:

Variac said:

Sounds like a good way to test the tweters until you get them refined, For the final decision and implementation there are probably amps that will sound better. Perhaps when the speakers are finished, you could start on a high end DIY amp project without time pressure-you can listen to your QSC while building its replacement. Lots of newbies making amps around here.:cool:

sound better???

how so? there doesn't seem to be any difference between the $2000 home amps that I've heard and my proamps...

A tube amplifier solution does interest me though... but from my experience all solid states as long as they're good quality sound the same...

I haven't heard a Class A amp though...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I certainly am not going to get into that trap of discussing sound differences between amps:D but some certainly sound better to me than others. Yes, there is lots of delusion in the audio world but I would suggest trying some high quality amps on your speakers when you are done with them. Some will probably will sound better than others to you.

Variac said:
I certainly am not going to get into that trap of discussing sound differences between amps:D but some certainly sound better to me than others. Yes, there is lots of delusion in the audio world but I would suggest trying some high quality amps on your speakers when you are done with them. Some will probably will sound better than others to you.

I suppose that is true.... amps certainly sound different... but better or not I dunno

I do plan to test some choices out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.