• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Custom 15" Field Coil Woofers *Look*

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One pair of 15" woofers, 500 ohm field coils, new 8 ohm voice coils, new custom spider, new cones, new Altec cloth surrounds. The field coil must be energized with 50-110 VDC. Very efficient (100db+ with a watt!) and extremely fast- These will do the bottom octave with shocking authority and control and have bass and low mid reproduction to die for- These bass drivers are Altec, JBL. Supravox, Western Electric, RCA, Focal, TAD, ect.. killers. If you haven't heard a good field coil woofer system you will be shocked when you fire these up.

If you want the BEST look no further.

$650 pair plus shipping.

I also have a spare Kepco 0-100 VDC regulated variable power supply. It's perfect for energizing the coils. It however is fan cooled and is quite noisy. I've used it in an adjacent room with great results. $50.00 with the woofers.

Ohio

magnetar@joimail.com

AndrewT said:
Hi,
I have heard of electromagnet speakers.
I was thinking about making some after reading a web page showing the design and manufacture of the field coil system.
Can you post or email details since yours are no longer available?

They are simply electromagnetic - what we used before Alnico, Ceramic, ect... I have a local speaker 'restorer' that winds his own coils, builds his own cones, builds custom spiders ect.. These started out as Baldwin Model 10 woofers (A $30,000 organ made in the 30's that was designed to mimic the output of a pipe organ with little PP amps in a large hall or church) and the restorer and I collaborated a modern update to them. He is also helping me with other drivers some that turned out not so good as these and some that are really excellent.

Electromagnets
Experiments with electromagnets

454Casull said:
Sensitivity is quite high. What's the F3 in free-air?

25 cycles with these - I have another pair that uses a different spider and cone that is around 40 cycles.]

Wow! Magnetnar had changed his mind after I paid, but paypal had failed to notify him. He decided to send them anyhow. This is by far the best sounding woofer shoved into a cardboard box Ive ever heard, they have huge range. I just ran full range to test and you certainly wouldnt have guessed it was a lone 15 stuck in a television box with the back cut out of it.

:D

Tweeker said:
Wow! Magnetnar had changed his mind after I paid, but paypal had failed to notify him. He decided to send them anyhow. This is by far the best sounding woofer shoved into a cardboard box Ive ever heard, they have huge range. I just ran full range to test and you certainly wouldnt have guessed it was a lone 15 stuck in a television box with the back cut out of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.