• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Decware SE84CS Zen triode amplifier for sale.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey...

I might be selling my SE84CS soon...it's in flawless cosmetic and operational condition. Has a stained cherry base, gold Audio Note attenuator and knob in the front, and the original and upgraded set of tubes (I've got the stock Ruby 5U4G, Sovtek 61NP and Svet SV83's, as well as a NOS GE 5U4G, new production Ei EL84's and a NOS Amperex 6DJ8 ). The internal wiring has been slightly modified - the bias switch in front has been modified to select between the front and rear input jacks. The rear input jacks are wired to the attenuator and are running in mono. The front jacks bypass the attenuator and run stereo. This can be easily switched back to the stock configuration if you want.

Email me at "jimj" "at" "vt.edu" if you want more info or pics.

Looking for around $600 OBO for the amp, or trade for a pair of Paramours or similar 2A3 SET amp.

Thanks for reading.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I thot it might be that amp... the cherry bass & audio note knob were the big clues....

My buddy Chris did the bass & mods on that amp. There are actually 2 of them plus a matching foreplay. They are really very good.

dave

Attachments

• 2xzen-foreplay.jpg
    2xzen-foreplay.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 555
Modded Zen

Just a couple of notes from the modder- the volume control is the Decware factory stock ( i.e Alps) pot - the gold-plated solid brass AudioNote knob cost more.

The rear volume RCA's are internally bridged for mono . Removing that jumper wire could regain the use of the volume control in stereo mode. As Steve has posted on his web site recently, while the minimalist purists maintain that the 'direct' input sounds better, there are some system combinations where an extra level control is desirable.

http://www.decware.com/paper66.htm

Any competant DIYer could reinstate the function of the bias select switch. This was removed since several listeners agreed that in the context of the particular system, which included Heil AMT/Fostex speakers, that the 2K7 position sounded less aggressively forward and harsh.

Finally - for those no fully familiar with this model - due to an unusal trick with the OPT's it really does prefer lower impedance speakers; preferably with single cap X-overs, or even better full-rangers.

From the designer's website:

HOW DOES IT WORK?

The primary thing that makes the SE84B (or C / CS*) unique is that it was not designed with a calculator to effect the max. power. In other words there was no greed involved when balancing power output against fidelity. A math guy will always match the output transformer's primary impedance against the plate resistance of the output tube. The closer the match, the more power the tube will emit. The bad side to this is that it also will put out more distortion. I can be fairly certain of this because we had to make our own power transformers to come up with the right impedance for our needs. Our custom hand wound air-gapped grain oriented silicon steel output transformers have a primary impedance of 9800 ohms and the EL84 / SV83 output tubes would rather see 1/2 to 1/3 of that. This combined with a single 6 ohm tap gives ideal clipping characteristics. on the average speaker load. Lets face it, 8 ohm speakers are often closer to 6 ohm and with a six ohm tap the Zen can drive either 8 or 4 ohm speakers. The clipping characteristics. of this design are so graceful that you can't hear when the amp is soft clipping. It takes a hard flat line clip before you can actually hear it.

( *italics mine )

Sounds wonderful with Fostex 103/127 and particularly 108E Sigmas in BLH like Ed Shilling's Hornshoppe Horns, or a DIY Buschorn MKII. Would aslo be very well suited to bipole MLTL with Fostex 103 /127E, or the commercial Omega Super 3B. The mated pair of these amps visited the VSAC2003 show, and were auditioned for several hours in Louis' display room. I personally prefered the presentation, sound-stage, imaging and midrange transparency of the Super 3 bi-poles over the 6" single driver.

A truly wonderful amp in the right system, and particularly magical with NOS EL84's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.