• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Large aluminium knobs, a source?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow what a beautiful knob. Thats EXACTLY the kinda look i was aiming for. But since i dont have your experience or skill, i would probably not go for the bevel look, just a simple flat polished knob, a little easier and less elbow greese.

Thanks for the DIY solution Peter! Just a quick question, if i polish the knob with sand paper until i like the finish, since it will be handled frequently, will the finish deteriorate with time? What do you recommend to keep it looking polished and new?

Also, how much would a solid pipe of aluminium like that cost?

homer09 said:
Thanks for the DIY solution Peter! Just a quick question, if i polish the knob with sand paper until i like the finish, since it will be handled frequently, will the finish deteriorate with time? What do you recommend to keep it looking polished and new?

Also, how much would a solid pipe of aluminium like that cost?

A piece for two knobs might cost you $5-8. Try MetalSupermarkets or Access Metals. They will cut it for the length you need, as otherwise it's not safe to cut small piece like that without bandsaw.

I started with 50 grid disk and ended up at 180. After that, using Scotch Brite pads ads final finish. Basically you don't really need to protect polished aluminum, as it's quite resistant to elements.

But you can spray it with thin layer of clearcoat (used for aluminum car wheels) or dip in alodine.

If you look for some round aluminum rods on ebay a lot of the sellers will cut the rod into required lengths, usually for free, or a small charge (5-10$).

Then all you need is a drill press and to sand it to your desired look.

But this is more if you are going to make a bunch of them, as the rod lengths are fairly long.

Peter Daniel said:

A piece for two knobs might cost you $5-8. Try MetalSupermarkets or Access Metals. They will cut it for the length you need, as otherwise it's not safe to cut small piece like that without bandsaw.

What about a hand saw ;) im sure its safe....

thanks for the sources, will use them if i cant source in person in montreal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.