• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Trichord Clock 2 for sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have decided I want to sell my clock 2.

It operates the 11.2896MHz frequency.

I have one currently attached to my Philips 960. It works well in that the treble is sweeter and the bass bigger, tighter, lower.

It was a worthwhile purchase. After a while a pal made one of his own. I going to use that and sell this Brand Name one.

The price was up to about £95 when I bought these two I have. But I see on their www that it's less that that now.

They do a 'Clock 4' for £150, which I also have. It's just the same thing but with a more elaborate regulator. I reckon the same or better can be achieved from the clock 2 just with the addition of some passive components, ie resistor, ferrite beads larger input side capacitor. And another ferrite and a 0.1mic de-coupling cap for the AC04. THe reason for all this is really just to keep the mush from getting back to the power supply. The clock output seems unaffected.

I'm asking £35. Plus posting I guess. Or there abouts.

Attachments

• clock2c.jpg
    clock2c.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 515
Well, I sent you Paypal for 41 UK Sterling...

I've assumed 6 will be good for shipping costs.

Pls. let me know if something's amiss and I'll send more...

Cheers,

As well, I would be very interested if you could elaborate on what you would do to impvrove / hack this clock to get more out of it...

Thanks again.

-MW

Paypal is saying "in order to recieve paypemts funded from credit cards upgrade to a premier account to recieve the money." To continue with a personal account make sure the payments are funded from a bank or paypal balance.

They will then charge me 3.9% + £0.20 now and to recieve all future payments.

I've only recieved payments via paypal twice, once it was OK and the other I got this problem.

Or, do you have on-line banking? Would they charge £35 lke they do to send a cheque?

Hi,

All being well it should be on it's way tomorrow.

I wanted to find the instructions that came with it from Trichord, which I found today. Also needed to find out how to post to Canada and get some postage forms. I'm sending by registered delivery. Also needed to get some packaging materials.

Can you e-mail me your address please just to confirm that I've got it correct.

Also, today I wrote out my suggestions for some modifications to it's voltage regulator to help cut the 11MHz noise from going back through and into the power supply. Jut some basic RF engineering adding of some ferrite beads and XR7 0.1 mic caps that I've used to good effect as I've seen on my oscilloscope.

Did you get my e-mail?

I'm connecting to a Rotel RCD-02.

I just got the service manual and discovered that the 11.xxx frequency I thought was in there is wrong. :bawling:

It actually has a 16.9344 MHz crystal in it....

Do you know if it's possible to desolder the existing crystal from the board and replace it?

Well, thanks for all of your help anyway.

Cheers,

-MW.

You have to remove the old crystal to fit the clock mod.

I don't know for sure, but I think it won't work with a lower clock frequency. Sometimes theyaccept different frequencies and you can select which one using a solder link somewhere, but I wouldn't be too optimistic that will be possible with your Rotel.

How dissapointing.

Maybe you could change the player for one with the 11.2896MHz frequency? Pleanty of old players use it, some of them quite good. Marantz CD94 / Philips 960 being two of the better ones. Some people still think their CD94 is the best player they've heard. One of my pals has been trying to buy a SACD player for over a year but not found one that can play CD's as well as his, all be it highly modified, CD94. CD960 is the same inside, except for the unreliable ribbon wire to the loading tray.

It might be possible to use a frequency trebler chip if there is one and then a devide by two chip.

It's a shame you didn't check a few hours earlier. I could have just refunded you.

But now I've paid £4.67 in post. Also there's the £1.80 to Paypal. And if you post it back to me I'll have to pay UK customs duty and VAT which might add up to about £9.

= £16.47 you'd have to pay me I suppose to cover those losses, including another £1 or so to paypal again.

No worries, eh? These things happen. I could have been more patient (i.e. careful) and waited until I actually received the RCD-02 or the service manual for it. -As it turns out I could have saved myself loads of trouble by calling Rotel and having them ship the service manual via email.

I now have this service manual (RCD-02.pdf) if anybody is interested in it.

As well, if it's not too much trouble, I may periodically ask you n00b questions regarding ways to tweak the Trichord 2.

I should mention that I gave my buddy my old Marantz CC-52 and it had the Trichord 2 in it. -As it turns out the frequency of that clock is 16.9344 MHz. -He's already agreed to me putting the original parts back into the machine because he's not likely to notice any difference (he wears hearing aids).

So, all's good in the end for me. Thanks for the offer, though. ;)

I wrote out a list of suggestions and included it in the envelope together with a drawing of where to cut the tracks, etc. ;)

Are you able to get the components like XR7 caps and ferrite beads? Farnel, a very large mail order catalogue with a branch in Canada, also known as Newark in One, and with on-line catalogue and ording, should be able to supply you.

Thanks very much for the mods. :)

I imagine I'll be able to get the goods here.

I suspect the hardest thing will be learning how to solder SMT (XR7) capacitors.

There's gotta be a thread on this site the covers soldering SMT.

Do you know if it's best to use solder paste and a hot air source, for example?

They do ones with leads:

http://www.newark.com/NewarkWebComm...N5SFA3AVAECXFEOESFFYK2URYWIV1?SKU=19C6197&N=0

http://www.newark.com/NewarkWebComm...N5SFA3AVAECXFEOESFFYK2URYWIV1?SKU=19C6203&N=0

these are both 100V rates so you can use them on other things like across pre amp and MAYBE power amp caps.

We put them under pretty much every electrolytic cap. On DVD players they can make the picture quality better, as well as sound.

Compared to a black gate NX HiQ 0.1mic, they are not quite as good one on one at reducing 11 or so MHz noise, but two in parallel are better than one BG, and three is better still. And they are 25 times less expensive! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.