• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

reclockers UNITE! Valpey-fisher extreme XO may be available...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have found a potential source for an extreme XO with the following specs:

Frequency 11.2896 MHz
Temperature stability <±10 ppm to 70C
Phase noise -155 dBc/Hz on the floor
Phase jitter < 0.2 ps RMS from 100 Hz to 10 MHz jitter frequency
Power supply 5V (optional 3.3V)
Package 4 pin DIP (VTL140)

These specs are 3 orders of magnitude better than the clock recovered on crystal's receivers (8412, 8414)! 1000x less jitter across a wide frequency spectrum? This is an awesome XO.

What's more, the cost is $30 per piece with an order of 100 or more. It might be $60 or so for a smaller order, I'm not sure about that yet.

Let me know if you're interested.

drlazybones said:
I have found a potential source for an extreme XO with the following specs:

Frequency 11.2896 MHz
Temperature stability <±10 ppm to 70C
Phase noise -155 dBc/Hz on the floor
Power supply 5V (optional 3.3V)
Package 4 pin DIP (VTL140)

These specs are 3 orders of magnitude better than the clock recovered on crystal's receivers (8412, 8414)! 1000x less jitter across a wide frequency spectrum? This is an awesome XO.

What's more, the cost is $30 per piece with an order of 100 or more. It might be $60 or so for a smaller order, I'm not sure about that yet.

Let me know if you're interested.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The quote I got in the UK is much less!

:whazzat:

You have to compare apples to apples. The XO I got quoted has the following spec:

Whereas the 150 you got a quote on was <1 ps RMS @ 1000 Hz

The 140 is a fully sweep-tested XO with jitter levels 1/5 that of the 150 you mentioned...

I stand by it - this is one of the best XOs that can be had at the price, hands down.

Let me know if you want some everybody....

Brouhaha?

jwb said:
Why all the brouhaha? When I want a V-F oscillator, I call their distributor and order some. It's not magic.

Hi jwb, Seems then like you are the ideal person to organise the groupbuy......
The problem is I think that standard CD frequencies (11.2896; 16.9344; 45.1584MHz f.a.) are not standard in stock for companies like Valpey-Fisher. Been there done that, well eventually I did order nothing......
:bawling:

dammit..I have to publish my patent. I'd gladly let all you guys use it, I just need to make the grab at the plastic ring first. I keep looking at all these clocks.. and I see all these people paying so much for a decent clock. damn.. I gotta get this done. I've been sitting on it for 7 years, using it for my personal use. Nothing out there has even come close to it yet. $20K clock generators, etc, be dammed. Not even close.

Me? I don't care, my CD player sounds fab with it, I'm done! Kinda makes me lazy about getting it published....

Any EE's with patent experience in the 'real world' of physics out there in the Toronto, Canada area? Want to sign a NDA and get this puppy filed, for a piece of the action? As far as clocks go, it might be bigger than sliced bread. As for what that means, I'll explain it to the person who signs the NDA. Reasonable 'human beings' only, thank you very much. People with decent growing minds, as this has the potential to spiral into multiple patents-across multiple fields of physics. It's a completely differnet way of looking at the science of clocking. It quite likely, theoretically and quite likely practically, has the ability to meet or exceed the accuracy of a high end Cesium clock.

1) No one has to know that, except me. Ie, it ain't proveable. Basically, I can 'claim' (haw! a patent joke..aw..nevermind...) whatever I want as far as the time frame goes.

2) The US patent office is in complete disarray, and it gave away the entire boat to corporations. The US patent office is more of joke than anything, since the recent (but critical!) changes to US patent law. I have several friends who have simply sat on their ideas as the protection that the US patent office provides these days seems as if it is ..well... to put it politely-- a serious joke.

The way it seems to be wired these days, it that the weight of corporate lobbyists holds sway in that country, not the will of the people or the 'State', as their "elected" governance.

The US patent law was created as a safe harbour to allow inventors to have 'protection' so they would actually publish their work. Through the intervenetion of coroprations into US patent law, via lobbying..the US laws have been changd to the point were (usually) only corporations win, and the individual inventor can be placed under serious stress. A complete and total ba$tardization of the original writ and intent of the law in the first place. How's that for feeding people **** instead of democracy?

Note to Americans: You are not the leaders of the free world anymore. Get your house in order. :) Reality is spoken in the world in other countries, these days. Perhaps it has always been that way, and I have merely woken up slowly, as I live in North America. All I know is America is in serious trouble. Deadly serious. And it does not have a damned thing to do with any terrorist.

As for this 7 year thing, since when did a patent app-approval reach some sort of limit with regards to the point of original invention? If that was the case, a incredibly large number of the current US patents issued to corporations would be invalid.

Sticking to the subject at hand: so the minimum order is like 50-100 to get a standard CD trim made up?

SY said:
OT

You've got a very fuzzy, erroneous, and naive notion about patents. Most patent attorneys will give you an initial consultation for free- were I you, I would take advantage of that and get a reality check.

OK, back on topic.

Hi SY,

While what you say is true about getting a consultation from a patent attorney, the system works very differently for an individual versus large corporations. I've seen the patent system from the corporate world and, based on this I doubt that the system works very well for the individual inventor. KBK gives his perspective, is there a place were I can read more about yours? Obviously a patent is worthless if it is not enforced and the cost to enforce (pay attorneys) is usually beyond the reach of most individual inventors.

Pete B.

As I have privately thought the odd time, Sy, you are far from being right all the time. I'm sure you are aware of this, I'm not sitting here with my lip jutted out or anything. Just having a bit of fun with the ole' "yeah! what he said!" thingie.

I'm not naive or deluded Sy..I'm just fully aware of the rampant animalism in Corporate America. Edit: And very happy to meet human beings... when I do.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi KBK,
I am sure you don't care for any patent office. They only give you the right to sue and make your invention visible to all. We all know where the short comings of the right to sue are.

So you can copywrite it (imperfect) or sell it to a larger corporation and let them protect it for you. At least you get something for it. Leave evidence of your development trail to assist, and the existence of your working model. The commercial value is the difficult thing to ascertain.

Otherwise, it stays in the closet. I really don't know what else can be done. Reality sucks some times.

SY did have a good suggestion to check with a patent attorney.

-Chris

Edit: Spelling

Sorry guys, I must have been unclear. Yeah, I probably was. The US patent and court system is NOT friendly to the individual inventor. What's naive is the idea that any other patent system is better. I can personally attest (having gotten dozens of patents in quite a few countries and having been involved several times in patent litigation) that everyone else is worse.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.