Westlake Audio Components - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2005, 06:50 AM   #1
Osteele is offline Osteele  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Default Westlake Audio Components

I thought that it would never come to this. After holding on to these babies for almost 15 years, I have no choice but to part with my gear.

I won't get into too many details for the time being. What I am selling are the audio components of the Westlake SM-1 speaker enclosures (no cabinet, speakers and horns only)

Incidentally, I picked up this gear from Electric Ladyland Studios in NY many years ago. Our 4X4, my wife and an 8 foot U-Haul. We'll never forget that trip, believe me.

4 X JBL 2245H 18" woofer
2 X Gauss 10" mid bass
2 X Gauss HF4000 drivers
2 X 2" throat horns
2 X 1" throat horns
1 X HR-1X 4 way, 2 ch., x-over

Can anyone tell me how I should go about selling this gear. I haven't the slightest idea where and how to begin. I could use some assistance in establishing a selling price as well.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Peter
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2005, 07:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
purplepeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Westlake makes some pretty serious studio monitors... I'm guessing you won't be able to use the original boxes as a template for making new ones.

:)ensen.
__________________
Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2005, 05:28 PM   #3
Osteele is offline Osteele  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally posted by purplepeople
Westlake makes some pretty serious studio monitors... I'm guessing you won't be able to use the original boxes as a template for making new ones.

ensen.
I once called Westlake in California asking if the building specs for the SM-1 enclosures could be made available to me.

No way !

Then again, where was I going to put these monsters anyway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2005, 05:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
purplepeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
I say mail them the busted one with another request. Even if they refuse, they have to put it in their dumpster, forcing them to pay for disposal.

Then mail them the second busted one, asking them to throw this one out with the first. They should get the point about having to pay for disposal.

:)ensen.
__________________
Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2005, 06:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYS
Is there more to this story than we know about, Purple?

Peter, have you considered having a high-end cabinetmaker construct proper cabs for these drivers and selling the resulting (value-added) speakers to someone who desires the ultimate?

One would think the resulting product might be worth more than the gear, assuming of course, the deal is right. Collecting options might be fun.

I may only be a cabinetmaker, but I know collecting options is where great deals begin.
__________________
onasis
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2005, 06:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
purplepeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
No back story... just that when someone is holding your drivers and a busted cabinet, a mfg of professional products should either offer to sell them one or help them fix it. Professional products are about earning a living. Unused speakers don't make money. No money, no re-sales.

I can understand that maybe they don't want to give away their technology or the design of the cab, but they should at least be interested in getting those drivers back into service.

Let's say I was the owner of a studio that had these speakers... I would be very cross if I got that kind of attitude from the mfg of a very expensive piece of equipment. It's the kind of thing that would make me think about going to another mfg.

:)ensen.
__________________
Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2005, 06:50 AM   #7
Osteele is offline Osteele  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally posted by x. onasis
Is there more to this story than we know about, Purple?

Peter, have you considered having a high-end cabinetmaker construct proper cabs for these drivers and selling the resulting (value-added) speakers to someone who desires the ultimate?

One would think the resulting product might be worth more than the gear, assuming of course, the deal is right. Collecting options might be fun.

I may only be a cabinetmaker, but I know collecting options is where great deals begin.
Actually, I had never considered having enclosures built specifically for selling purposes. But you do make an excellent point. Definitely, one worth considering.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Peter
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2005, 02:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NY
Default OFF to EBAY they go

Osteele,

We got some old Westlake speakers as well. So there might be some people on EBAY looking for replacements for their aging monitors. I don't think that putting out the money for a cabinet maker is worth it. Gauss is defunct and there are better driver available at this point. You will also find that the most likely customers would be professionals concerned about expandability to surround sound, availability of spares etc. Also, from my experience, the "magic" of the WESTLAKES is not in the drivers per se, but the "tuned" combination, consiting of customized crossovers, matched drivers, cabinets etc. The drivers contained within the WESTLAKE speakers often are appallingly inexpensive in respect to the overall cost of the system.

Good luck

cheers

RB
__________________
RB
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2005, 04:24 PM   #9
Osteele is offline Osteele  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Default Re: OFF to EBAY they go

Thank you for taking the time to offer up your valuable input. I decided to try my luck on EBAY. My Gauss HF4000 drivers, and Gauss 3184 mid bass are now being auctioned off. I think that it is safe to say that my Westlake 1" and 2: throat horns are sold. Breaks my heart to part with these beauties.

I never thought that there would be so much interest in the horns. Boy, was I wrong. From some of the posts that I have read, they are very hard to come by.

Like I have heard said so often: "All good things come to an end"

Quote:
Originally posted by RussianBlue
Osteele,

We got some old Westlake speakers as well. So there might be some people on EBAY looking for replacements for their aging monitors. I don't think that putting out the money for a cabinet maker is worth it. Gauss is defunct and there are better driver available at this point. You will also find that the most likely customers would be professionals concerned about expandability to surround sound, availability of spares etc. Also, from my experience, the "magic" of the WESTLAKES is not in the drivers per se, but the "tuned" combination, consiting of customized crossovers, matched drivers, cabinets etc. The drivers contained within the WESTLAKE speakers often are appallingly inexpensive in respect to the overall cost of the system.

Good luck

cheers

RB
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resurrecting 70's audio components Stuey Parts 27 28th September 2008 04:55 PM
Any information about diy westlake audio BBSM-6 speaker? jelou Multi-Way 1 5th September 2007 08:46 PM
Classic Audio Components For Sale! wkleung Vendor's Bazaar 0 19th December 2006 02:07 PM
JL Audio Car Components 6X8's or 5 1/4's Dominick22 Swap Meet 1 29th April 2006 05:50 PM
where to buy HQ audio components in Australia? jarthel Swap Meet 1 1st March 2002 07:08 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:00 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2