• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Westlake Audio Components

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought that it would never come to this. After holding on to these babies for almost 15 years, I have no choice but to part with my gear.

I won't get into too many details for the time being. What I am selling are the audio components of the Westlake SM-1 speaker enclosures (no cabinet, speakers and horns only)

Incidentally, I picked up this gear from Electric Ladyland Studios in NY many years ago. Our 4X4, my wife and an 8 foot U-Haul. We'll never forget that trip, believe me.

4 X JBL 2245H 18" woofer
2 X Gauss 10" mid bass
2 X Gauss HF4000 drivers
2 X 2" throat horns
2 X 1" throat horns
1 X HR-1X 4 way, 2 ch., x-over

Can anyone tell me how I should go about selling this gear. I haven't the slightest idea where and how to begin. I could use some assistance in establishing a selling price as well.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

purplepeople said:
Westlake makes some pretty serious studio monitors... I'm guessing you won't be able to use the original boxes as a template for making new ones.

:)ensen.

I once called Westlake in California asking if the building specs for the SM-1 enclosures could be made available to me.

No way !

Then again, where was I going to put these monsters anyway.

I say mail them the busted one with another request. Even if they refuse, they have to put it in their dumpster, forcing them to pay for disposal.

Then mail them the second busted one, asking them to throw this one out with the first. They should get the point about having to pay for disposal.

Is there more to this story than we know about, Purple?

Peter, have you considered having a high-end cabinetmaker construct proper cabs for these drivers and selling the resulting (value-added) speakers to someone who desires the ultimate?

One would think the resulting product might be worth more than the gear, assuming of course, the deal is right. Collecting options might be fun.

I may only be a cabinetmaker, but I know collecting options is where great deals begin.;)

No back story... just that when someone is holding your drivers and a busted cabinet, a mfg of professional products should either offer to sell them one or help them fix it. Professional products are about earning a living. Unused speakers don't make money. No money, no re-sales.

I can understand that maybe they don't want to give away their technology or the design of the cab, but they should at least be interested in getting those drivers back into service.

Let's say I was the owner of a studio that had these speakers... I would be very cross if I got that kind of attitude from the mfg of a very expensive piece of equipment. It's the kind of thing that would make me think about going to another mfg.

x. onasis said:
Is there more to this story than we know about, Purple?

Peter, have you considered having a high-end cabinetmaker construct proper cabs for these drivers and selling the resulting (value-added) speakers to someone who desires the ultimate?

One would think the resulting product might be worth more than the gear, assuming of course, the deal is right. Collecting options might be fun.

I may only be a cabinetmaker, but I know collecting options is where great deals begin.;)

Actually, I had never considered having enclosures built specifically for selling purposes. But you do make an excellent point. Definitely, one worth considering.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Peter

OFF to EBAY they go

Osteele,

We got some old Westlake speakers as well. So there might be some people on EBAY looking for replacements for their aging monitors. I don't think that putting out the money for a cabinet maker is worth it. Gauss is defunct and there are better driver available at this point. You will also find that the most likely customers would be professionals concerned about expandability to surround sound, availability of spares etc. Also, from my experience, the "magic" of the WESTLAKES is not in the drivers per se, but the "tuned" combination, consiting of customized crossovers, matched drivers, cabinets etc. The drivers contained within the WESTLAKE speakers often are appallingly inexpensive in respect to the overall cost of the system.

Good luck

cheers

RB

Re: OFF to EBAY they go

Thank you for taking the time to offer up your valuable input. I decided to try my luck on EBAY. My Gauss HF4000 drivers, and Gauss 3184 mid bass are now being auctioned off. I think that it is safe to say that my Westlake 1" and 2: throat horns are sold. Breaks my heart to part with these beauties.

I never thought that there would be so much interest in the horns. Boy, was I wrong. From some of the posts that I have read, they are very hard to come by.

Like I have heard said so often: "All good things come to an end"

RussianBlue said:
Osteele,

We got some old Westlake speakers as well. So there might be some people on EBAY looking for replacements for their aging monitors. I don't think that putting out the money for a cabinet maker is worth it. Gauss is defunct and there are better driver available at this point. You will also find that the most likely customers would be professionals concerned about expandability to surround sound, availability of spares etc. Also, from my experience, the "magic" of the WESTLAKES is not in the drivers per se, but the "tuned" combination, consiting of customized crossovers, matched drivers, cabinets etc. The drivers contained within the WESTLAKE speakers often are appallingly inexpensive in respect to the overall cost of the system.

Good luck

cheers

RB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.