• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My GC chassis for sale...sort of. Please advise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in need of some money for a new project. I don't realy want to sell this but it seems like it's the only thing I got to sell.

I don't want to sell the complete thing either just the chassis...possibly the boards too, but no I/O jacks or tranny.

Details:
-complete chassis made of 1/4" aluminium, by hand. There are a few cosmetic issues I never got around to fixing, there are some tooling marks, one bottom bolt hole has a dummy bolt head in it because I broke off a tap in there. Because of the relatively complex construction not everything lines up perfectly...bolts pull everything into alignment during assembly though, so when finished no one can tell. I insisted on building the whole thing with DIY methods and not resorting to my milling equipment.

-wooden panel is made of Padauk (afrikan hardwood) with expanded aluminium sheet vents.

-the feet are solid 1.5" al disks, isolated from chassis with tar based damping material.

--the boards are Brian's.. Black Gate caps, custom no-nencapsulated Vishay resistors on feedback and input to ground. they're already in there and wired so I guess it makes sense to let them go together.
-the I/O panel is drilled and machined to accept Cardas speaker and input jacks.

All and all it's really nice, a great place for someone to start, a little elbow grease and it could be world class. I'd finish it before selling but I barely have enough time to wipe my 'nose' lately, and I need/want some money as soon as possible
I've had nothing but postive comments about both, the looks and the sonic capabilities of this amp.

Here's a link to it's page in Brian's Gallery.
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/nigc-illusus

I don't know what type of monetary value to put on this thing ...so I'd like offers. Maybe an ebay auction is the way to go. What do you guys think?

Thats...quite some chassis.

Because it's a custom one of a kind, I don't know that anyone can advise you on 'how much it's worth.'

The only real way to determine 'market value' is to put it up on eBay, and adversitze widely on the audio sites.

Good luck.

dont sell it

I don't know how badly you need money, but I wouldn't sell this, its custom, involved a lot of sweat and work, and has great potential. It will not sell for enough money no matter what you get. It has your personality worked into every (non) corner. I'd keep it and save money in some other way. Don't worry about your free time, I took almost 2 years to complete my BOSOZ and I went months without having time to make any progress, and when I finally sat down to do work, I blew parts up and actually made negative progress, having to disassemble a ton of stuff and do repairs. I felt horrible but kept at it.

Keep at it and keep this thing, you will be glad you did. By the way, nice job, it looks great.

just my opinion.

Thanks for the comment. I know where you're coming from.
I really do like that project but it's not that I've given up on it...as I was working on it I came up with many ideas I wanted to put to implement but it was too late for this chassis, I'm on to, IMO, much greater projects, therefore, I don't feel that bad about it passing to someone else. I don' t hold on to most things for too long, it gives me a chance to grow. I remember everything I've built, failures included, fondly and have each project documented for future reference. Looking back at those references I see how I've advanced with every project. The units I'm finishing now are very special and worth the heartbreak of losing this one to complete.

Illusus said:
I already sold the boards to Ritchie ;) I hope the price goes up a bit though! I shouldn't have gambled...well, we'll see.

Haha :razz:, it is so cheap that if I hadn't build a chasis already I would definately buy it. I've notice that custom DIY projects on eBay sell for rediculiously low prices. I think that the people that would be interested in those speakers or parts are people who know a lot about speakers/amps/audio equipment, and those people have learned about them by building their own ****. And they enjoy their own building stuff, not buying built stuff. It keeps them busy and keeps them from killing :headshot: (Diana Krall only a serial killer would listen to that).

Also I like your quote. I've been thinking along those lines a lot lately.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.