• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

UCD400 w. AD8620 upgrade for sale or trade!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I have 2 brand-new unused UCD400 modules with AD8620 upgrade and would like to sell them or trade in with 2 Zappulse SE modules. Shipping is free in Europe!

Anyone interested?

Michael

P.S.: I like the UCD's, however I was unable find a place in Europe
where they can sell me quality capacitors and transformers
within a reasonable timeframe (less than 5 months). I've been
waiting more than 2 months for a reply from a dealer and I realize
that I must give up building this amp now...otherwise I'll still be
waiting for the caps until I retire...I must get a complete kit now.

mlihl said:
Hi folks,

I have 2 brand-new unused UCD400 modules with AD8620 upgrade and would like to sell them or trade in with 2 Zappulse SE modules. Shipping is free in Europe!

Anyone interested?

Michael

P.S.: I like the UCD's, however I was unable find a place in Europe
where they can sell me quality capacitors and transformers
within a reasonable timeframe (less than 5 months). I've been
waiting more than 2 months for a reply from a dealer and I realize
that I must give up building this amp now...otherwise I'll still be
waiting for the caps until I retire...I must get a complete kit now.

My advice,

Keep the UcDs, the ZAPpulses are more expensive so who wants to trade them? Just use the LCaudio predator power supply (assuming you are referring to those as being a complete kit). I'm sure the UcD is easier for DIY then ZAPpulse. The predator supply works perfectly with UcD (I'm doing that)

Best regards

Gertjan

Transformers

The transformer part can definitely be solved by http://www.trafoshop24.de/. The stuff they sell is made by http://www.transtecrk.de/ who I sent an email a little over a week ago.

Yesterday two nicely potted 800 VA transformers arrived at my doorstep. Compared to what I've seen elsewhere, the price is very fair and shipping cost of the 15.x kg package was also very reasonable.

What about capacitors? Did you have anything special in mind? I have more or less the same problem, so unless something interesting shows up, I will order some RIFA PEH200 22000uF/100V from http://www.elfa.se/ ...

I have 2 unused Zappulse 2.2SE waiting for some components. But if I woud have to chose again the ucd400 would probably be on the top of my list (mainy because it seems a little more foolproof and also because I'm from the Netherlands).

However trading now is too much trouble (and I already have 2 1000VA/45VAC trafoos that don't fit on a UcD400).
Actually my advice is to stick with them, you can use the LCaudio powersupply parts or buy some separate parts easily (but I'm not familiar with inet shops in the UK).

I know a guy in Holland that wanted to sell his Zappulse 2.2SE (from the same groupbuy),

Trafoshop24 transformer

Here is a picture of one of the transformers. I hope it will perform nicely!

Attachments

• trafo1.jpg
    trafo1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 531
Thank you guys for your suggestions. My problem is that I am looking for a high-end PSU like the NT-E from Schuro. However,
Schuro is unable to deliver this PSU at this time. If I decide to
build everything from scratch, I still need good capacitors.
I had Slit-Foils and T-Nets in mind. I don't know whether
the LCAudio power supply can be tweaked or whether using
Slit Foils or T-Nets make any sense in terms of sonic quality (compared to the performance of the LCAudio PSU). My idea
to try Zappulse was primarily because LCAudio claims that the
sound quality of the modules was independent of the PSU caps.
My second problem is the transformer but I could try www.trafoshop.de

I will be glad to hear your suggestions regarding sources
to buy capacitors.

Thanks again,

Michael

My suggestion.......

Having been building this stuff for over 30 years........

Just build it with "regular" parts. You have no idea how it will sound, if you will like it, or anything.

Once you build it, decide that you like it, etc.........then you can go back and add exotic parts.

You may find that they don't help enough to justify the bother and expense.

In the meantime, why deprive yourself of something that you may very well be happy with just because you think that it has to be done a certain way the first time.

Seriously............

Jocko

mlihl said:
Thank you guys for your suggestions. My problem is that I am looking for a high-end PSU like the NT-E from Schuro. However,
Schuro is unable to deliver this PSU at this time. If I decide to
build everything from scratch, I still need good capacitors.
I had Slit-Foils and T-Nets in mind. I don't know whether
the LCAudio power supply can be tweaked or whether using
Slit Foils or T-Nets make any sense in terms of sonic quality (compared to the performance of the LCAudio PSU). My idea
to try Zappulse was primarily because LCAudio claims that the
sound quality of the modules was independent of the PSU caps.
My second problem is the transformer but I could try www.trafoshop.de

I will be glad to hear your suggestions regarding sources
to buy capacitors.

Thanks again,

Michael

Hi Michael,

The claim of LCAudio that the sound quality of the ZAPpulse is independent of the power supply caps (whether that is true or not, I don't know) is at least as valid for the UcD modules I would say. The UcD modules have even more power supply decoupling on-board than the ZAPpulse, so the UcD should be even more power supply cap independent.

My advice again (similar as Jocko) just try these modules in the standard version that you have, using for example just a simple Predator supply, no exotic stuff needed in the beginning. You will be surprised by the sound quality.

Best regards

Gertjan

My decision about UCD400/Zappulse

Thanks guys for all the answers. I finally made a decision: I will trade my UCD400 for a Zappulse 2.2SE with a fellow from diyaudio. This way I can get a simple Predator from LCAudio and all the other parts, too. I know I could have also used the Predator to power the UCD400, however I want to make sure everything comes from a single source (no compatibility issues
whatsover such as too high/low voltages...) Then I'll see (tweak) from that point on. It may sound weird to you but I'm a bit lazy since I have no power amp at this time and cannot listen
to music. :bawling:

However, I really love the spirit around the UCDs and I will
definitely buy a few additional UCD180s when they become available again in January :) - my subwoofer still needs
a good power source.

Regards,

Michael

Re: My decision about UCD400/Zappulse

mlihl said:
Thanks guys for all the answers. I finally made a decision: I will trade my UCD400 for a Zappulse 2.2SE with a fellow from diyaudio. This way I can get a simple Predator from LCAudio and all the other parts, too. I know I could have also used the Predator to power the UCD400, however I want to make sure everything comes from a single source (no compatibility issues
whatsover such as too high/low voltages...) Then I'll see (tweak) from that point on. It may sound weird to you but I'm a bit lazy since I have no power amp at this time and cannot listen
to music. :bawling:

However, I really love the spirit around the UCDs and I will
definitely buy a few additional UCD180s when they become available again in January :) - my subwoofer still needs
a good power source.

Regards,

Michael

Then I would use the ZAPpulse for the subwoofers and the UcDs for the main speakers. You will probably find out that the UcD produces less noise than the ZAPpulse. At least in my case that was the case.

Best regards

Gertjan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.