• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

10k a-a/40 Watt Output Iron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey-Hey!!!,
I am making available copies of the Peerless S-265-Q I salvaged. It was carefully unwound and measured. Copied on a CNC winder and available at an excellent price of $200 per pair plus shipping from Michigan.

It is a 10k a-a to 2,4,8, and 16 ohms. It has taps at 50%, or by special order at any 10% increment ( like the 40% specified as the best U-L point ).

John Atwoon did some measurements o this one and it's available with a Google search o 'Atwood', if you are interested.

Email me for details.
regards,
Douglas

Hey-Hey!!!,
Just in case you are interested and don't have a DIY account to email me through, you can go direct to the winder. Here is their page:

http://www.heyboertransformers.com/index.shtml

speak to Phil, these guys also do some nice power Iron and even for DIY quantity, at rates I have not been able to match. The usual means of doing business is to send the Iron with the bill...nearly unheard of in the valve audio/custom parts marketplace. In delivery time frame of days not months.

Thanks for looking,
Douglas

Hey-Hey!!!,
I only got a single to take apart, so proper listening in stereo did not get done. I am using them to replace Dynaco Z565's from a SCA35 I gutted. Small, PP DHT amp( type 1619, a metal TX valve, something like a 6V6, with a 2.5V/2A filament instead of a cathode sleeve). Going to switch to something like a DH 807...

I made a few small changes, nothing really big. For instance, the original Kraft paper has been replaced by Nomex paper. In the few spots where Kraft paper was combined with Mylar, appropriate thickness of Nomex was substituted. I just don't like the idea of mylar caps being created in the OPT, and other Iron I have designed have done quite well with the Nomex.

It is an exacting copy otherwise. The core is M6, and I may decide to try somethig else when I decide to wind another pair. I did not want to make a whole pile of small and perhaps significant changes for the first copies. The geometry allows a rather easy placement of screen tap locations, so I chose not to use the original 50%, and went for a more traditional placement. More significant modifications are also possible, stuff like adjusting a-a impedance anywhere between 7 and 12k ought to be farily easy.

I will have them mounted today, and will post my observations of their performance. thanks for asking.
regards,
Douglas

Hey-Hey!!!,
I finally got time to install them. I thought that I had done fairly well with the Dynaco Z565...what an eye opener these are. First, they look like a proper OPT, 2.5 inch thick stack of E-I1.375.

With U-L rigged HY69 and a special diff amp Cascode front end, it has to be heard to be believed. These things will work with 845's too. Full SE Class A op point and it will just run out of core under full boogie.

Couldn't be happier with this Iron. Going to have to get another pair...I won't be able to take this amp down.
regards,
Dougals

Thanks for the update Douglas. I'm intrigued by these and may be interested in a pair in future, but funding prohibits at the moment. Out of curiousity, do you have any measured specs for them, originals or new? How much primary current will the deal with, and with what imbalance?

Hey-Hey!!!,
I can't find the John Atwood testing results anymore. Judging by size and primary DCR, 150 mA per side should not get the Iron too warm. Imbalance tolerance is not a spec I have ever found on this Iron.

Here is a pic of them in action.
regards,
Douglas

Attachments

• pp_s265q.jpg
    pp_s265q.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 338
Bandersnatch said:
Hey-Hey!!!,
I can't find the John Atwood testing results anymore.
PM me your email addy and I'll send them to you
Judging by size and primary DCR, 150 mA per side should not get the Iron too warm. Imbalance tolerance is not a spec I have ever found on this Iron.
150mA should suffice for the idea I had.
Here is a pic of them in action.
Nice.

Hey-Hey!!!,
On imbalance current, I saw Altec/Peerless specs published at ~10% for the smaller 20Watt items. Seems reasonable to try to keep within that specification. Also, these same 20Watt OPT's were rated at between 70 and 100 mA per leg. Doubling this leaves a minimum of 140 mA per leg.

An update after ~30 hrs of time playing, and curing...they sound even better. I took the amps to the Oswald's Mill Tasting event this year and was quite happy to see the amps acquit themselves well against all commers, including the RCA Photophone 9355 House system.
regards,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.