• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

What's the BEST 45 tube and where can I buy it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I am new with DHT tubes, and want to make my own 45 amplifiier. I heatd so many great things about this tube. Does it really sound better than the 2A3?

Who has experiences with this tube, and what's the best place to buy it? I heard a lot of good things about the Sofia (=Fullmusic??) 45. Is there a Fullmusic official website? I only found this one: http://www.fullmusic.de but why is it in Germany? THey show mesh and solid plates, but how about the sound? Is the Emission Labs 45 a good tube as well? Where can I buy it?

What is the BEST Single Ended tranformer for this tube... Where to buy it? Sorry for the many questions. I am in search for many answers. Please reply to this post when you have some information about the 45.

Thanks!!! William Lee, Hong Kong

Dear William,

Opinions vary on the "best" tube... but the 45 does have a very strong following. I have built a number of 2A3 amps and nothing has come close to my 45 amps even though the circuit topology was similar.

Try http://www.diyhifisupply.com in Hong Kong for FullMusic or TJ 45 tubes; I am not affiliated with DIY Hi Fi. Emission Labs is also reported to be good. However, 45 tubes are often available through ebay at good prices... but "cavate emptor" (buyer beware)!

There are several great transformers for the 45 tube:

Magnequest ES-050 air gapped
Magnequest EXO-050 parafeed
Tamura F-5003 amorphous air gapped
Tribute also sell transformers for the 45 tube

Remember, you will need effecient speakers; many say at least 96 dbl but I would suggest at least 99 dbl.

Good luck with this great tube.

Seta45

Hi William, Hi Seta 45,

yes i bought the Emission Lab 45 Mesh tube from www.jacmusic.com . These tubes kicks ***! They are way better than anything i heard from NOS 45 tubes.
For this EML 45 Mesh tubes i recommend lundahl iron's.
I also bought the Lundahl from JAC at Jacmusic.com
....very fast delivering also best prices....

You would choose the Lundahl LL1663/50mA -----5K @50mA
or the Lundahl LL 1620/60mA ---- different impedances
If you have more questions about schematics feel free ....

Greetings Barossi

;)

Hi William, Hi Seta 45,

yes i bought the Emission Lab 45 Mesh tube from www.jacmusic.com . These tubes kicks ***! They are way better than anything i heard from NOS 45 tubes.
For this EML 45 Mesh tubes i recommend lundahl iron's.
I also bought the Lundahl from JAC at Jacmusic.com
....very fast delivering also best prices....

You would choose the Lundahl LL1663/50mA -----5K @50mA
or the Lundahl LL 1620/60mA ---- different impedances
If you have more questions about schematics feel free ....

Greetings Barossi

;)

Hi,

here's my foto. Tungsol #45 vs. Emission Lab #45 Mesh.
Sounds very fine!

Greetings Barossi

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2,231
Hi,

here's my foto. Tungsol #45 vs. Emission Lab #45 Mesh.
Sounds very fine!

Greetings Barossi

The Majority of 45 tubes were made by RCA on the glass the octagon shield
Is a RCA trade mark .the ww2 St models are still available. And under $200
Their internal matching is normally within 2-3%. Inspection and QC was far better then on average.

The vt52 model runs electrically a bit higher and not a drop in replacement.

Dear William,

Opinions vary on the "best" tube... but the 45 does have a very strong following. I have built a number of 2A3 amps and nothing has come close to my 45 amps even though the circuit topology was similar.

Try Your Store in Hong Kong for FullMusic or TJ 45 tubes; I am not affiliated with DIY Hi Fi. Emission Labs is also reported to be good. However, 45 tubes are often available through ebay at good prices... but "cavate emptor" (buyer beware)!

There are several great transformers for the 45 tube:

Magnequest ES-050 air gapped
Magnequest EXO-050 parafeed
Tamura F-5003 amorphous air gapped
Tribute also sell transformers for the 45 tube

Remember, you will need effecient speakers; many say at least 96 dbl but I would suggest at least 99 dbl.

Good luck with this great tube.

Seta45

Hi, my favorite tube is the 45, I too also have a pair of EML 45 mesh and by far sound better than any nos 45 that I have heard. I had different set 45 amps but the best sounding circuit to me is what I have now which is a interstage coupled 45, which uses llundahl interstage transformer and tango output transformer. I also suggest a tube that I am running in my amp now, it sounds better than ant nos 45 and a tad better than the Eml tubes. It's type 46 tube, I run them in my 45 amp with an adaptor. This tube is sweeter in the midrange and even tho it puts out less power, it sounds more powerful than the 45. I have been using the 46 tube in my amp for about a year and have not put the 45 back in my amp since then. Btw i also run Eml rectifier mesh tube, which is the best rec tube I have heard.

URL]

URL]

URL]

I 've used a variety of 45's in both my Yamamoto and Mayer amps and the EML solid plates were the best. I haven't heard the mesh version.

For more affordable NOS I like Sylvania and RCA. Cunningham globes are also very nice, but a different sound.

If anyone has any VT52's they would part with I am looking for a pair.

I agree that you need very high efficiency speakers to use the 45. I biamp so my woofers are run off a separate amp and that works a lot better than running the 45 full range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.