• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB : Pair replacement foam surrounds for Tannoy 315 12" HPDs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone got a pair of these for sale/trade - preferably in the UK - although I guess they'd be fairly light, so overseas shipping costs less of an issue.

Am looking for the genuine Tannoy ones, not modern replacements as I understand they do not have suitable complience and need much messing around to make them fit.

My Tannoy Cheviots give thanks in anticipation :)

Re: just some light Tannoy info for you!

JRKO said:
Tekno.mage,

Do you have much info about the tannoys or would you like the stuff I have collected?

JRKO

Hi there JRKO,

Thanks for your offer of info but I already have collected a fair heap of info on some of the Tannoys (mainly the HPD range) including making a quick & dirty 'PDF-of-scanned-version' of a Tannoy technical booklet (late 70s) I found available on the web:
http://www.teknomage.co.uk/library.html

It includes dimensioned drawings and other details of original Tannoy enclosures for all three of the HPD drivers (10", 12" & 15") - You may find this one interesting as you are planning some new boxes for your own 10" drivers.

My own 10" HPD (driver portrait is on the site!) is in the Eaton cabinet (vol = 30ltrs) it arrived in, modified by moving the original x-over control & connector plate to the front and adding 4mm connector posts (orginal Tannoy ones are bare-wire only) as it's mostly used as a nearfield monitor (suspended from above so driver is inline with ears when standing!) I'm using the original x-over and box (with funky paint job to disguise trashed box exterior) as it sounded lovely just as it was - the x-over components are high quality, uncorroded & still in good working order. I may replace the capacitors at some point as they *are* from 1978 and old capacitors can develop leaky problems!

Regarding X-overs and the later dual-concentrics...
I recently was given a pair of more modern Tannoy 8" DCs. I'm still not entirely sure what model they are (grilles and model badges long since gone!) but think the drivers are 2008s (they are in presssed rather than cast baskets) fitted in typical late 1980s 'hifi' style boxes with that 'black ash' plastic veneer. On arrival they sounded dreadful (very harsh treble and *far* too much of it) - a problem quickly traced to original 'bi-wirable' crossover design. Hmmm. I suspect a 'fashion' move in the late 80s towards this very 'toppy' sound - many 'HiFi' speakers I've heard (not just cheap ones!) made since the late 80s also have this type of sound!

From memory, I recall that the x-over used is a version of the model 1004 (same as yours, but without the 'presence' control) and your driver looks remarkably like the 8" ones I have! I will check and get back to you on this - and report details of whatever I do to sort mine out (when I get time to do it!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.