WTB : Pair replacement foam surrounds for Tannoy 315 12" HPDs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2004, 01:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default WTB : Pair replacement foam surrounds for Tannoy 315 12" HPDs

Anyone got a pair of these for sale/trade - preferably in the UK - although I guess they'd be fairly light, so overseas shipping costs less of an issue.

Am looking for the genuine Tannoy ones, not modern replacements as I understand they do not have suitable complience and need much messing around to make them fit.

My Tannoy Cheviots give thanks in anticipation :-)
Old 19th August 2004, 09:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
try these guys in OZ they seem to be the only guys who have proper Tannoy ones.

www.speakerbits.com
Old 20th August 2004, 06:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Default just some light Tannoy info for you!

Tekno.mage,

Do you have much info about the tannoys or would you like the stuff I have collected?

I have a couple of threads going about mine

Tannoy 10 inch Dual Concentrics

and the other one 'How BIG is TOO big?' you have already posted on.

JRKO
Old 8th September 2004, 11:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: just some light Tannoy info for you!

Quote:
Originally posted by JRKO
Tekno.mage,

Do you have much info about the tannoys or would you like the stuff I have collected?

JRKO
Hi there JRKO,

Thanks for your offer of info but I already have collected a fair heap of info on some of the Tannoys (mainly the HPD range) including making a quick & dirty 'PDF-of-scanned-version' of a Tannoy technical booklet (late 70s) I found available on the web:
http://www.teknomage.co.uk/library.html

It includes dimensioned drawings and other details of original Tannoy enclosures for all three of the HPD drivers (10", 12" & 15") - You may find this one interesting as you are planning some new boxes for your own 10" drivers.

My own 10" HPD (driver portrait is on the site!) is in the Eaton cabinet (vol = 30ltrs) it arrived in, modified by moving the original x-over control & connector plate to the front and adding 4mm connector posts (orginal Tannoy ones are bare-wire only) as it's mostly used as a nearfield monitor (suspended from above so driver is inline with ears when standing!) I'm using the original x-over and box (with funky paint job to disguise trashed box exterior) as it sounded lovely just as it was - the x-over components are high quality, uncorroded & still in good working order. I may replace the capacitors at some point as they *are* from 1978 and old capacitors can develop leaky problems!

Regarding X-overs and the later dual-concentrics...
I recently was given a pair of more modern Tannoy 8" DCs. I'm still not entirely sure what model they are (grilles and model badges long since gone!) but think the drivers are 2008s (they are in presssed rather than cast baskets) fitted in typical late 1980s 'hifi' style boxes with that 'black ash' plastic veneer. On arrival they sounded dreadful (very harsh treble and *far* too much of it) - a problem quickly traced to original 'bi-wirable' crossover design. Hmmm. I suspect a 'fashion' move in the late 80s towards this very 'toppy' sound - many 'HiFi' speakers I've heard (not just cheap ones!) made since the late 80s also have this type of sound!

From memory, I recall that the x-over used is a version of the model 1004 (same as yours, but without the 'presence' control) and your driver looks remarkably like the 8" ones I have! I will check and get back to you on this - and report details of whatever I do to sort mine out (when I get time to do it!)
Old 10th September 2004, 11:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Have now ordered tannoy foam surrounds :-)

Just to let people know I have some surrounds for the HPD 315s on order.

I'll post details of the fitting when it's done.

Wish me luck!
Old 21st September 2008, 02:42 PM   #6
felixx is offline felixx  Romania
diyAudio Member

About Eaton's cabinets....
Maybe you want to sell -I'm interested to buy if you still have the HPD295A crossovers.

Hide this!Advertise here!