• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Good quality small size potmeters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to replace the volume pot in a AMC CVT1030a, since turning it makes the cones almost run away from their basket before coming back in place:xeye: ... the problem is its size: it is very small, with overall diameter 16 mm and pin spacing about 6 mm.
It is stereo, 20kAx2 is the writing I found on it.
Can anybody suggest a suitable replacement (or even better have one to sell or trade for some good components)?

Cheers

Andrea

To be true they look more like these... one thing I forgot is that there is, coaxial to the main shaft, a metal ring that operates only one of the two cursors to achieve balance between channels (but this method IMHO did not work properly...)

Anyway thank you.

Cheers

Andrea

Attachments

• alps pot.jpg
    alps pot.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 341
Hi, I'm not too sure about how they sound, as the only one I have ever used is as a volume control in my first gainclone amp (which should be finished in a day or two now), but they feel reasonably nice in use, quite a nice smooth, light action when turning. But, then I guess at 80p each it wouldn't hurt your wallet too much if they wern't so great.

Anyway, I gave mine a quick measure just now, and it is about 17mm accross the case at the widest point, and the pins are around 5mm appart (6mm if you measure from one side of the frst pin, to the opposite side of the second). Also, if you wan't me to get one each of the two values to have a try with, just let me know and I shjould be able to get them too you pretty quickly.

Attachments

• pot-1.jpg
    pot-1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 263
You can probably just use a 2-gang pot and ditch the balance part. The most common type of balance circuit simply makes a variable potential divider that is totally out of circuit if you remove the pot.

If the pot was log then you may be able to use a different value. However, with it being lin then it may be that the value is quite critical to achieve correct law-faking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.