Good quality small size potmeters? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2004, 07:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Good quality small size potmeters?

I need to replace the volume pot in a AMC CVT1030a, since turning it makes the cones almost run away from their basket before coming back in place ... the problem is its size: it is very small, with overall diameter 16 mm and pin spacing about 6 mm.
It is stereo, 20kAx2 is the writing I found on it.
Can anybody suggest a suitable replacement (or even better have one to sell or trade for some good components)?

Cheers

Andrea
Old 8th May 2004, 06:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Is it the same as these?.

If so, I have some used, but good condition ones, I think 20K linear. If the're any use I'll stick a couple in the post.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 9th May 2004, 08:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

To be true they look more like these... one thing I forgot is that there is, coaxial to the main shaft, a metal ring that operates only one of the two cursors to achieve balance between channels (but this method IMHO did not work properly...)

Anyway thank you.

Cheers

Andrea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alps pot.jpg (18.5 KB, 322 views)
Old 9th May 2004, 05:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi, how about these ones, not available in the 20k value, but I think they are a close fit for the size (I'll measure one of the ones I have knocking about if you want me too to check) if you can cope with the different values.
Old 10th May 2004, 07:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

They certainly look alike, apart from the missing balance gear.

However don't know if the value can be changed so easily, should check the schematic...btw do you consider them as good-quality (suitable for a volume pot)?

Cheers

Andrea
Old 10th May 2004, 09:54 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'm not too sure about how they sound, as the only one I have ever used is as a volume control in my first gainclone amp (which should be finished in a day or two now), but they feel reasonably nice in use, quite a nice smooth, light action when turning. But, then I guess at 80p each it wouldn't hurt your wallet too much if they wern't so great.

Anyway, I gave mine a quick measure just now, and it is about 17mm accross the case at the widest point, and the pins are around 5mm appart (6mm if you measure from one side of the frst pin, to the opposite side of the second). Also, if you wan't me to get one each of the two values to have a try with, just let me know and I shjould be able to get them too you pretty quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pot-1.jpg (65.6 KB, 239 views)
Old 10th May 2004, 10:42 AM   #7
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

You can probably just use a 2-gang pot and ditch the balance part. The most common type of balance circuit simply makes a variable potential divider that is totally out of circuit if you remove the pot.

If the pot was log then you may be able to use a different value. However, with it being lin then it may be that the value is quite critical to achieve correct law-faking.
Old 13th May 2004, 10:37 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Maybe I'm lucky... on Italian Ebay I found some Noble pots of the right size and value (or at least it seems so...).. even with loudness tap...

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...sPageName=WDVW

Cheers

Andrea
Old 13th May 2004, 10:30 PM   #9
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

Alps produced exactly the same pots as you´ve shown.
You could(can?) find them in any commercial amplifier (Sony,Pioneer etc..)
Not sure if they still manufacture them.

Have a look at the RK16 series from Alps. Should fit.

Regards
Jens

Hide this!Advertise here!