• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TDA 1541A S1 silvercrown @ ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
IMHO parallel chips can be dangerous.

At last you see it ! It is also difficult enough to design a good DAC layout with only one chip.

S2 really is worth the money.Very smooth highs and big difference compared with S1. Much bigger difference as between S1 and normal A version.

I wonder how they will behave on your analyzer ....

About the S2...

Jean Paul, you told that the S2 were produced later (97 I think), but did also other chips be produced (S1, regular, R1) at the same time, or did philips manage to produce 100% S2 chips? (or 3rd solution, they destroyed all those that didn't qualify as S2)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I don't know that but I have never seen either normal A, A/S1 or A/R1 with 1997 datestamps ( Bernhards S1 are stamped 1996, first time I see such recent S1 as well ). I learnt that S2 were specially produced in Taiwan for Marantz CD 7. I was told that production quality was very high so the theory that most were qualified as S2 may hold. Earlier S2 were certainly not made in Taiwan ( BTW they were awfully expensive at that time too ).

Mostly speculation really as all this is from audio-magazines and hearsay, I've not seen this info written in official Philips documentation. S2 seems a bit obscure in that aspect. Fact is that they do sound the best and that Zanden bought the last batches of them. I don't know how they measure, I've only recently tried one of the S2 I bought. The S2 Elib offers are genuine, I don't trust the large amount of "real" S1 offered on the web.

Marantz CD-7

Attachments

• cd70.jpg
    cd70.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 453
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.