• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Cotton electrical sleeving

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
malisz said:
I would.

If I understand correctly, cotton could is beter insulator that e.g. teflon and jacking in silvered copper wires into the sleeves would allow to build e.g. high quality speaker cables.

malisz

You dont understand it correctly!

Teflon is waaay above cotton for insulation.

There are a few challenged individuals out there thats putting in great effort to sell their snake oil about plastics getting magnetic....if you ever find a way to make plastic magnetic, tell me about it. Im sure it would make you rich and famous.

Magura:)

Edit:

Ive recently made a few tests of OFC copper VS silver plated copper VS pure silver.

I found no difference in perfomance.

What you can gain by using silver plated wire is the protection against oxidation of the copper, so in the long run and if soldered with a solder with min. 2% silver you can gain some in that aspect. Silver serves as far as im concerned no purpose if you can get good quality silver plated copper.

Magura said:

You dont understand it correctly!

Teflon is waaay above cotton for insulation.

It may be above cotton as a dielectric, but it sounds worse.

I've built a fair share of silver/teflon interconnects. When I moved from the teflon covered silver to bare silver with cotton sleeving, using the same gauge wire and identical geometrical layout of the wire, things finally sounded right. Cotton is probably just a physical buffer around the conductor, as the main material in direct contact with the silver inside a cotton sleeve wire is air, and air is a better dielectric than teflon.

Ultimately, you have to seal the cotton/silver air core from the outside air to limit oxidation, but that's a different subject.

I'd be interested in a roll of that sleeving - got a few users for it in mind.

Peter

Thats right in a humidity of 0, reality though is somewhat different. As far as im concerned, the only insulator thats better than teflon is glass.

Teflon is as i remember it the plastic material thats absorbs less water, after that comes some types of polyprpylene.

For insulation matters, the factor that actually makes the difference is water....how big a percentage of water the material has.

So with all that taken into account instead of just looking at an isolated dielectric value under lab conditions.....teflon all of a sudden seems a lot more attractive.

Magura:)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CRY WOLF...

Hi,

Watch out....
There's a lot of "fake" cotton floating around.:att'n:

For optimum results the cotton must be of the unbleached variety and of selected Egyptian crop.

If you're really after the cream of the crop...Ah well, in that case you'll have to get yourself a shipload of the thing and insist it was picked around midnight during full moon.

Naturally all that fancy stuff is going to be looking at those horrendous inductors wound from a spool of ordinary OFC enamelled solid core...

So, to my mind that's exactly what should do for speaker wire, ya good ole magnet wire....After all it's airtight and at such low impedances you can just about use any insulator, can't you?

Cheers,;)

Magura said:
Thats right in a humidity of 0, reality though is somewhat different. As far as im concerned, the only insulator thats better than teflon is glass.

Teflon is as i remember it the plastic material thats absorbs less water, after that comes some types of polyprpylene.

For insulation matters, the factor that actually makes the difference is water....how big a percentage of water the material has.

So with all that taken into account instead of just looking at an isolated dielectric value under lab conditions.....teflon all of a sudden seems a lot more attractive.

Sure, if all one is doing is chasing after objective specs.

But shouldn't how the result sounds to a particular individual be taken into account as well? I mean, at the end of the day, that's what it's all about isn't it?

I don't know about you, but for me, the purpose of my system isn't to satisfy some set of objective specs and measurements. Its purpose is to satisfy me.

Some people prefer cotton over Teflon. For those people, cotton therefore is the better, more attractive insulator.

se

According to the dielectric constants chart at K-Tek, the dielectric constant of cotton is listed as 1.3 - 1.4 compared to Teflon's 2.0. Of course cotton is more hygroscopic than Teflon, so things will depend on the level of humidity.

You have to compare apples to apples. "Cotton" as supplied is basically a cellulose polymer that physically is mostly air. So the best comparison is either cellulose to PTFE or cotton to expanded PTFE (i.e., a foam).

As far as im concerned, the only insulator thats better than teflon is glass.

From a dielectric point of view, glass is inferior to PTFE. I don't have the charts in front of me at the moment, but IIRC, the DF of glass was fairly poor.

SY said:
You have to compare apples to apples. "Cotton" as supplied is basically a cellulose polymer that physically is mostly air. So the best comparison is either cellulose to PTFE or cotton to expanded PTFE (i.e., a foam).

True. Personally I think the whole obsession with objective specs is really rather silly given that at the end of the day what counts is our subjective experience.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.