• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Cotton electrical sleeving

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Try it for twisted pair interconnects....its better than or on par with anything Ive heard.

Its waste to use it for speaker cable since you need so much of it (you need at least 8 runs for each speaker to make up for a 4mm2 cable) and besides that I wasnt able to tell the difference in that application between the Habia wire and regular OFC speaker cable.

Magura:)

fdegrove said:
BTW, regarding the Habia cable you use as a LS cable, have you tried it as a twisted pair interconnect between your amp and preamp?

Cheers,;)

I tried to make a pic with my webcam.

This is as good as it gets.

Magura:)

Attachments

• inter1.jpg
    inter1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 157
I think Teflon sounds better than cotton

:smash: The minus thing I found about cotton dielectric was its greyish sounding and a slight audible grain. I heard this even after using the same cotton sleeve type you bought (originally used in old transformers, it´s then covered with bee´s wax or something isn´t it?). The conductor material I still use to make my own interconnect cables is jeweler´s 99,99% 0,5 mm (that´s roughly 24awg) silver wire. At the time, about three years ago, I didn´t know where to find those cotton sleeves so I had to invent:
I remember one of my most sucsessful tries was made of... cotton shoe laces, the cheap, flat, crude(?) non tinted types. Just three wires braided like a PBJ, inside a bright red nautic rope terminated with w108s gave some Siltechs a marathon run for the money in a high-end shop :D .
Another thing that sounds great if not better as dielectric is polypropilene rope. Just remove the inner cord and fill the wire in, twist it and voila. :) If I remember, solid polyprop dielectric constant is about 2,2. But since it´s just rope, there´s lots of air and it´s thicker walls than cotton shoe laces, or proper cotton sleeve, so it makes for a lower capacitance between wires.
I still like PTFE Teflon for ICs, no matter it´s an artifficial fiber, what measurings say, or what geommetry and conductor material is used . There´s something nice about the sound, more colourfull timbres, better bass resolution and an overall cohesion and control (BAHHH I gotta stop reading those magazines :mad: ), that I do not hear with cotton.

Just my 2c. Please share with us your results!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.