Cotton electrical sleeving - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2004, 12:06 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Yes, I received the cable. It's nice, I like it.
Thanks, Morten
Old 15th April 2004, 12:24 AM   #22
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Try it for twisted pair interconnects....its better than or on par with anything Ive heard.

Its waste to use it for speaker cable since you need so much of it (you need at least 8 runs for each speaker to make up for a 4mm2 cable) and besides that I wasnt able to tell the difference in that application between the Habia wire and regular OFC speaker cable.

Magura
Old 15th April 2004, 12:26 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove

BTW, regarding the Habia cable you use as a LS cable, have you tried it as a twisted pair interconnect between your amp and preamp?

I should have sent you a few meters for experiments when I sent you the other pack....It could have been interesting.

Magura
Old 15th April 2004, 12:51 AM   #24
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Magura, I found that my sound improved greatly, especially S/N, when I placed my wife in the freezer.
Old 15th April 2004, 12:59 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Magura, I found that my sound improved greatly, especially S/N, when I placed my wife in the freezer.

Well, Ill make a test when my wife wakes up. Ill put her in the freezer, and see if there is a sonic difference if she wears a cotton shirt or a nylon shirt.

Will let you know what I found out tomorrow.

Magura
Old 15th April 2004, 01:26 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
BTW, regarding the Habia cable you use as a LS cable, have you tried it as a twisted pair interconnect between your amp and preamp?

Cheers,

I tried to make a pic with my webcam.

This is as good as it gets.

Magura
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inter1.jpg (29.9 KB, 129 views)
Old 15th April 2004, 03:30 AM   #27
PauSim is offline PauSim  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default I think Teflon sounds better than cotton

The minus thing I found about cotton dielectric was its greyish sounding and a slight audible grain. I heard this even after using the same cotton sleeve type you bought (originally used in old transformers, itīs then covered with beeīs wax or something isnīt it?). The conductor material I still use to make my own interconnect cables is jewelerīs 99,99% 0,5 mm (thatīs roughly 24awg) silver wire. At the time, about three years ago, I didnīt know where to find those cotton sleeves so I had to invent:
I remember one of my most sucsessful tries was made of... cotton shoe laces, the cheap, flat, crude(?) non tinted types. Just three wires braided like a PBJ, inside a bright red nautic rope terminated with w108s gave some Siltechs a marathon run for the money in a high-end shop .
Another thing that sounds great if not better as dielectric is polypropilene rope. Just remove the inner cord and fill the wire in, twist it and voila. If I remember, solid polyprop dielectric constant is about 2,2. But since itīs just rope, thereīs lots of air and itīs thicker walls than cotton shoe laces, or proper cotton sleeve, so it makes for a lower capacitance between wires.
I still like PTFE Teflon for ICs, no matter itīs an artifficial fiber, what measurings say, or what geommetry and conductor material is used . Thereīs something nice about the sound, more colourfull timbres, better bass resolution and an overall cohesion and control (BAHHH I gotta stop reading those magazines ), that I do not hear with cotton.

Just my 2c. Please share with us your results!
Old 16th April 2004, 03:30 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Magura

Well, Ill make a test when my wife wakes up. Ill put her in the freezer, and see if there is a sonic difference if she wears a cotton shirt or a nylon shirt.

Will let you know what I found out tomorrow.

Magura

Sorry guys, the test failed. Couldnt make my wife wear a nylon shirt

Magura
Old 16th April 2004, 03:58 PM   #29
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I can understand. Nylon is hygroscopic and has pretty poor dielectric properties.
Old 16th April 2004, 04:16 PM   #30
diyAudio Senior Member

Default Oh my, oh my....

Hi,

Quote:
All along I thought it was the PICTURE that made all the difference...

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!