• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Pass A-40 Amp Parts, All minus PS, Heatsinks, and Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I have the parts for a Pass A-40 Amplifier for sale. The parts do not include the power supply, heatsinks, or case. I purchased these parts (I think) from Old Colony in the '80's and never built the amp (I'm embarassed that I don't remember exactly).

The power transistors are Philips BDX68C and BDX69C
The boards are a very nice alternate design marked "A-40", "YOSON". They are silkscreened and solder-masked.

I can't tell you that all the parts are there, but I can assure you that I haven't removed any parts. What I received is what you would get (see photo).

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodw50/ForSale/Parts/Pass_Amp_01.jpg

Email me with an offer if your interested at:

rodyama@comcast.net

Thanks for your interest
Rodd Yamashita

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
You won't have any fun if you buy it pre-built

Thanks Mark,

Remind me to sign you up for my sales team!

I had the original Signal 88 transformer for the A-40 and sold that about 4 months ago. I also had the original Lambda transistors and sold them about 3 months ago. I even had the stuffed boards and heatsinks, and sold them as well.

I'm hoping to find someone that wants to build an A-40 so I can paw...eh...interest them in a nice A-40 kit. That way I can get the rest of the parts for my new Aleph project:D I had to mortgage my home so I could pay off Brian for the Aleph boards and transistors:eek: (Just kiddin' Brian)

Let's see... can I use an old ILP (now Plitron) 500VA toroid with 22V X 4 secondaries as a transformer for an Aleph 3?

I bet the A-40 would make a great sub-woofer amp though.

Cheers Mate,
Rodd Yamashita

Rodd: I know we are all trying to find time and money to built either Aleph 2, 3, 4 or 5 but the A40 is really a nice amp to have. I built mine about 10 years ago and I'm still using it to this day. I built my A40 at minimal cost. The most expensive part is probably the output transistors and the rest are all from the junk yard .... and I layout and built the boards myself .... not good looking boards but it get the job done. I'm using 2 fans at very low speed in order to keep the cost of the heastsinks down. I don't think I want to sell this amp even if somebody ask me to.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
fcel,

I really have sold off all the original transistors I had for the A40, and the original transformer and the heatsinks I had for 15 years. About the time I sold them I found this site and Mr Pass's Aleph amps. I knew of the Alephs, although I didn't really know much about them.

I've been running a tri-amp system (amps permitting) for years with horns from 1200Hz up. I've done the tube thing with McIntosh, Luxman, and Conrad Johnson. What I found from that experience was that I love the tube sound but I'm too aware that they are there. Everytime I heard an ill sound in the room, I thought my tubes were going. I am a "Bad Tube" neurosis.

You see, my early school years were in the 60's then most TV's had tubes. When the TV when on the fritz, you would look in the back of the powered up TV for the tube that was not glowing, pull it out and take it to the corner drug store tube testing machine. If it was bad, you bought a bottle asprin and a Sylvania 12AX7 and, if you were lucky, you were watching Bonanza that night.

I never heard or seen the description of "having that tube sound quality" used as much with any other SS amp as it has been used to describe the Aleph's sound, particularly the 3 and the 2. The only amps that comes close are Audio Research SS amps and my D52 just died.

I need an Aleph.

Rodd Yamashita

Status
Not open for further replies.