• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB: one Black Gate WKZ 100+100uF / 500V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But what in the construction made them so special? I'm not trying to argue but if they are that much better than why haven't they started making them again. Seems like there would be a big demand for them. Possibly some nasty regulated out of existence substance in them?

BillWojo

Joined 2009
Paid Member
But what in the construction made them so special? I'm not trying to argue but if they are that much better than why haven't they started making them again. Seems like there would be a big demand for them. Possibly some nasty regulated out of existence substance in them?

BillWojo

Attached pdf

Attachments

• blackgate115.pdf
    688.8 KB · Views: 68
I hate to say it, but in general back when a number of audio manufacturers used Blackgates, i replaced more of these caps than any other brand. The failure rate was very high, especially if they were run close to max voltage. They failed quite often, and quite violently at times. I never trusted them, and to the OP, i would source someting else as the BG is probably going to be at least 15 years old.
Both JJ and F&T make 100+100 500V caps.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I hate to say it, but in general back when a number of audio manufacturers used Blackgates, i replaced more of these caps than any other brand. The failure rate was very high, especially if they were run close to max voltage. They failed quite often, and quite violently at times. I never trusted them, and to the OP, i would source someting else as the BG is probably going to be at least 15 years old.
Both JJ and F&T make 100+100 500V caps.

It's strange mine BG rated 350V surge 400V!

This could be of help:ASE-Audiotuning

If I remember well Jelmax closed and that is the reason you cannot find BlackGates available.
This is the same story of many audiophile parts :) They became famous after the producer went out of business :)

Last edited:
Not only in Japan, If I rememder I start to bought the BG to Michael Percy USA in the 90s and also well know in GB where Audionote is established.
I became informed of BGs after year 2k.

I just opened a 1996 MJ review and find them listed by a parts seller, never noticed it.
Also, never noticed if BGs were used in desings described in MJ... I have to open those old MJs and see.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.