• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: 45 C3g amp separate power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is another audio gem. This is the "Shiny Eyes" 45-C3g DHT amplifier, built with care and to provide a rewarding sound. This is an audiophile amplifier and it is not for everyone. It delivers up to 2W output. These 2W sound bigger than it shows. It is indeed a 2,000,000 microWatts. It is meant to be used with high sensitivity speakers. I listened to its sound using recently built TangBand 1772-W8 full range driver speakers. These are 96 dB sensitivity and fills the 300sqft room. For concert levels,a 100dB+ speakers are required.
The amplifier has 4 and 8 ohms outputs through a switch and Cardas binding posts. The output transformer are James 6123HS and the interstage transformers are Lundahl LL2762. The 45 tubes filaments power is supplied through a Coleman regulator. Therefore there is a need to adjust the filaments every time the tubes are replaced. A 5V high quality Simpson meter is used for this purpose. The amp comes with a manual where there are easy to follow instructions on how to adjust the filament voltage.
The power supply has a separate enclosure. The high voltage uses a Hammond 278X, high quality Chicago Standard Chokes 10H/180mA chokes and 6AX4 tube rectifiers. The setup is choke input for a better sounding amp. The high voltage delivered to the amp is measured and shown on a nice Simpson 500VDC panel meter. There are 3 raw, well filtered and regulated DC supplies : two for the 45 filaments and the third for the C3g filaments. The power is supplied to the main amp through an umbilical cord that carries only DC. The connector is Amphenol military grade. This way the AC is kept away from the main amp and the amplifier is dead quiet on my 96dB speakers.
All the components are high quality and audio grade where needed, such as Nichicon KG, Takman, Mills, Elna Cerafine, Clarity caps, ASC Oil caps, Mundorf Mlytics.
The amplifier comes with all the tubes : NOS 6AX4 - 2 pieces, pair of 45s test NOS RCA black plate and pair of C3g NOS Lorentz.
The amplifier shows a dominant 2nd Harmonic that confers the absolute astonishing sound of a DHT from that era. One of the picture shows the harmonics and THD and one can observe that the THD superimposes almost perfectly on the 2nd harmonic. The maximum THD is 3.8% at 2W ( naturally second harmonic), the frequency response is better than 20-20KHz +/-1dB, the input sensitivity is 0.8Vrms for 2W output, the input impedance is 51Kohms and the damping factor is 4 on 8 ohms.
The enclosures are hand made using American cheery nicely finish with 4 coats of Oil and Urethane, and sanded aluminum 1/8" top plates.
This is a well built amp to last for a long time.( more of my work can be seen on simplepleasuretubeamps). I am very fond of the sound of the 45 tube and therefore I've built a few 45 amps and always pleased with the results.
Each enclosure weights about 32-34 lbs and measures 13x13x9(tall) ". I would prefer to ship them in separate boxes of 16x16x13" ( well protected).

Asking $2700 plus shipping.

Attachments

• overall-live.JPG
    overall-live.JPG
    568.6 KB · Views: 201
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    659.7 KB · Views: 197
  • psu.JPG
    psu.JPG
    605.8 KB · Views: 193
  • psu back.JPG
    psu back.JPG
    639.8 KB · Views: 188
  • main back.JPG
    main back.JPG
    672.9 KB · Views: 185
  • wiring main.JPG
    wiring main.JPG
    684.9 KB · Views: 92
  • wiring PSU.JPG
    wiring PSU.JPG
    758.5 KB · Views: 97
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.