• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Famous Taiwanese switching attenuators.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm selling two of those. Despite some switching bounce (and noise) they are still a very good value in attenuators. Both are 22k, which is perfect for GC.

$45ea. , knob is not included;)

Attachments

• sw.jpg
    sw.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,755
about the noise your attenuator!

Hi, Peter!

The noise in the attenuator is quite hot topic in forums of audio diy in Taiwan. As your said, this noise only happen while switching, and it wouldn't kill your audio quailty at all. So, every Taiwan's diyers almost have one or two ones. Especially, this is quite cheep in Taiwan. And one more point, the improvement of sound is very great, you can get lots of detail without burning too much money!

But, why the noise happen? We have a lot of discussion in Taiwan's forum. Certainly, these discussion all write in Chinese!
We conclude two points may explain the noise happening when switching. First, according DZ's original docutment, this is ladder type. One guy try do shunt type with single layer attenuator made by same company, but without noise while switching! So, this may be the problem of which type your uesed. Second, When you made this attenuator, do not overheating the connected points. That is the most importent thing, because inner structure and quailty of parts of this product are not good. Some Diyers in Taiwan even failed to finish this atteuator due to this overheating problem.

to Malisz

this is stereo! there are ballanced attenuators in DZ

I have mentioned somewhere in this forum that I've got a balanced attenuator from Taiwan. I was told that the quality of the built depends on who is the assembler. I guess mine has no noise is due to the fact that I've got a very experienced assembler that did not overheat the connected points - over 1000 (exaggerated) points of soldering.

Now back to PD sale of his VR.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

We conclude two points may explain the noise happening when switching. First, according DZ's original docutment, this is ladder type

Somehow I can't imagine how that would be a source of extra noise.

do not overheating the connected points. That is the most importent thing, because inner structure and quailty of parts of this product are not good. Some Diyers in Taiwan even failed to finish this atteuator due to this overheating problem.

That's more likely.
They should try LMP solder with an automatic soldering station.

Cheers, ;)

Hi! Frank,

By my personal opinion, I agree with your point. I got a e-mail form a DIYer in this morning. He told me another reason for the noise but I didn't get it. So, I will meet him to talking about this in few days. If we get any conclusion, I will post here.

Hi, Peter,
I wish the discussion would not bother you and your trading.
If so, let me know and I'll move to another forum in this site.

Cheers!

Peleus

Actually I like this discussion as it gives continous exposure to my ad.;)

I got two inquieries yesterday, but not commitment yet. I also think that heat might be the cause of the noise. As I opened the attenuator, it seemed to be pretty good quality and definitely a shorting type. It just seems that connections are not made properly and that's causing the noise. It is also changing with different positions.

BTW, the second attenuator is brand new and was never tried. There might be a chance it is noise free;)

Those are fine units and they sound good. I'm selling them, as I bought some Shallcross switches, I'll be getting Elma switch and Panasonic pots, so I don't really need those. Otherwise I would probably keep them;)

OK-- Let me know your address (you can E-mail me rather than posting it here if you want to preserve some privacy) and I'll send a $50 money order today / tomorrow. My work firewall will not allow me to get to my webmail; that's why I'm communicating using the forum.

Can you contact me when you receive it and are ready to mail the attenuator? You're planning to send it Canada mail, I assume, but let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks also for agreeing to mark the connections for me. That will help tremendously! :D

Kofi

Hi Peter Daniel !!

Im planning to order that attenuator and use it with my coming tube amplifier. Do you still have those attenuators ??
If you don´t have those anymore, is that the same attenuator what that guy sells in Ebay ??

How that popping sound can be disabled, if its getting to be a problem ??

If you have time, pleace Email me:

hannes1@kolumbus.fi

And some offtopic. How can i add a picture in my description ??

Graze hombre !!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.