• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

30+lbs of unmarked toroids

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have no use for them nor do i have any test gear to determine the primary voltages (assuming most all are designed for an American customer I'm sure the primary is 115v) or the secondary voltages, some are heavy duty big transformers for big tube projects some slightly smaller for solid state designs.

Willing to let the whole lot (15 transformers last i checked for $125, and I'll split shipping, would prefer to ship to West coast residents.

Open to trades for raspberry pi 5v plug-n-play low noise power supplies and 24v, 3+ amp smps for my amp camp amp.

Hey Zachary, might not hurt to say whereabouts you are on the West Coast, as there are lots of members up and down the coast (myself included), whom might be within driving distance. Having just moved, 125 lbs is no joke to ship.

And if you're close to Portland, I might be interested (and able to measure said secondaries)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
The wire gauge can give you an idea of the maximum current ratings, and some basic measurements can get you the unloaded secondary voltages and an estimate of the turns ratio. Transformers will have higher secondary voltages at no load. If you aren't sure about the primary voltage ratings you should reduce the AC voltage being fed to the transformer primary under test to be safe (unless you're sure they are 120V rated primaries). You can use a variac or a known 120V rated transformer to do this. With the primary (or primary windings in parallel) connected to the reduced AC voltage you can measure the primary and secondary AC voltages to get the approximate turns ratio.

As far as I know trafos are basically about the ratio between two windings. you can apply any voltage (ok not megavolts) and according to the ratio a higher or lower voltage will show up at the other end.
So if you want to measure them, just put in 110V or whatever is convenient for you (just measure the input exactly) and measure voltages that come out on secondaries and make a list. By knowing input and output voltages you know the ratio and hence where you can use this trafo. You can use the same trafo in 110V and 220V world, it just depends for which the secondary voltages are useful.
If you measured them and sold them individually, you could make at least twice the money. But it is some work with measuring, shipping...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.