• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: 301A(01A) Directly Heated Triode Preamp with Lundahl OPTs - $995

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FS: 301A(01A) Directly Heated Triode Preamp >>>>SOLD

>>>>>SOLD

This is a single stage custom made 301a directly heated(DHT) tube preamp using excellent Lundahl LL2745 output transformers. The input is direct coupled through dual Alps potentiometers. It uses two Coleman filament regulators for a very quiet preamp. According to the designer using LL2745s the gain is about 3dB with an output impedance of around 470 ohms. This works perfectly for use with most current DACs which usually tend to have a high output.

The audio tubes are select Cunningham CX-301A and are readily available as NOS or used. These tubes are from 1920-1930s and have a special sound probably related to the fact that they have Thoriated Tungsten filaments. Their sockets are mounted using neoprene.

The power supply uses three transformers (one for main HT and two for the DHT filaments). The high voltage is provided by tube rectification (6BY5GA) and LCRC filtering with a 30H/40mA choke followed with two 10uF Obbligato caps parallel with 47uF Mundorf and then followed by a solid state shunt regulator.

The wooden enclosure is made of American cherry wood with a light oil urethane clear coat protection. The inside of the case is screened using a 5 mil 99.99 pure copper foil. Top plate is brushed aluminum. Includes a manual and schematic from the builder Radu Tarta. You can see his blog for the amp build here:

https://simplepleasuretubeamps.wordpress.com/2015/03/

With my Omega Alnico single driver speakers the sound is very clear and rich with great dynamics and presence.

I will also include an extra rectifier and an extra matched pair of CX301A tubes. Other variations of the 01A tube are also available separately for some tube rolling fun.

Photos available here: FS: 301A(01A) Directly Heated Triode Preamp with Lundahl OPTs - $895

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Very nice build worth the pics here

Attachments

• 301 1.jpg
    301 1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 268
  • 301.jpg
    301.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 268
  • 301 2.jpg
    301 2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 265
  • 301 3.jpg
    301 3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 301 inside.jpg
    301 inside.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 260
  • 301 inside 1.jpg
    301 inside 1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 301 inside 2.jpg
    301 inside 2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
An apology to those who have PM'd me. I have been on DIYAudio so long that my personal email address was a couple of years out of date. I have changed that now.

To clarify. For now I am only interested in shipping in the lower 48 US states.

Thanks to merlin el mago for kindly posting the photos!

For those who might wonder. The builder Radu Tarta is one of our own members here and really does fine work. I hope that you will buy my preamp but if it does not meet your needs I believe that he will do commissioned work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.