• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: GedLee Earl Geddes Abbey kit with B&C Neo drivers, one pair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, on offer an Abbey loudspeaker kit pair, configured for an active crossover. This is possibly the last pair Dr. Geddes will make (according to a private e-mail conversation we recently had) and features the following upgrades:

- B&C Neo woofers (12NBX100) and Neo compression drivers (DE500), the same drivers used in his NA12 (New Abbey).

- Improved woofer mounting using an inner subframe and T-nuts/machine screws, allowing easy installation and removal (if needed) with no hardware visible from the outside. Older Abbeys attached the woofer to the inside of the front baffle with wood screws.

Except for two-part epoxy adhesive and internal wiring, this kit includes everything needed to construct one pair. You get:

- Two CLD front baffles with custom-cast polyurethane waveguides permanently affixed. The outer layer is rigid (and expensive) polyurethane foam board, the inner layer MDF.

- Two CLD rear panels (both layers MDF) with holes cut for 4-pole SpeakOn chassis connectors (included)

- Top, bottom and side panels (3/4" polyurethane foam board, same as the exterior front panel)

- Wood cross braces and polyurethane strips & corner braces to construct the inner frame for attaching the CLD rear panel.

- The B&C Neo drivers mentioned above, two of each.

- 2mH chokes and gaskets for the woofers.

- 10 ohm/25 watt resistors and 12uF capacitors to be used as DC blocking for the compression drivers.

- All screws needed to mount the drivers, SpeakOn connectors and CLD rear panels (the front baffle is glued to the polyurethane cabinet panels using two-part epoxy).

- Push-on crimp connectors and screw-down terminal strips to connect everything up.

- Hand-cut reticulated-foam plugs for the waveguides and scrap excess to line the insides of the cabinets.

- Assembly instructions. While the cabinet is not a complicated design, it is not a "beginner" project. Some additional cutting of the inner-frame pieces and clamping while the epoxy dries is required.

Upon completion, Earl will personally assign active crossover settings and perform minor tweaking if you transport the finished units to his address, or arrange round-trip shipping (the crossover settings will still be provided if you don't opt for transport or shipping).

Price: $3500. A pair of NA12's, which use the same drivers, are approximately the same size and NOT offered in kit form, run $8k-$9k depending upon finish. Price includes free delivery within a 200 mile (or so) radius of Indianapolis, along with the Detroit area. I have extensive shipping experience and can ship (or transport) everything to other locales at extra cost. Any form of payment in $US that my bank, local post office or PayPal account will accept is fine. PayPal or wire-transfer fees will be added if they are incurred on my end.

Options:

- Need an active crossover? I have an open-box Behringer DCX2496LE for $250 (only offered at this price if you buy the Abbey kit, I am not interested in selling it separately).

- Don't want the Neo drivers? Deduct $550 for the woofers and/or $350 for the compression drivers (approximate Parts Express prices)

- Want different drivers? I have brand-new B&C 12TBX100 woofers (as used in "standard" Abbeys), Eminence Definimax 4012HO woofers and a pair of Denovo DNA360 compression drivers that can substituted at a reduced price, inquire if interested. The assembly instructions include a passive crossover schematic designed for the 12TBX100 woofer and B&C DE250 compression driver, which may or may not be suitable for the other drivers. You will be "on your own" if you opt for the Eminence woofers and/or the DNA360's (i.e., no support from Earl).

I tried to upload pictures of the kit components but was not successful, I will be happy to forward the pics to interested parties.

Thank you!

Here's pictures of the front baffles, the improved woofer-mounting subframes are visible in the second picture. Earl sprayed a light coat on the right waveguide to bring out the slight blemishes when it was released from the mold. This area can be sanded smooth:

Attachments

• IMG_1465[1].jpg
    IMG_1465[1].jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_1466[1].jpg
    IMG_1466[1].jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 685
Here's pictures of the polyurethane cabinets, they were taped in position (not glued) to verify the panels mated properly. One cabinet uses tongue and groove joints, the other uses overlap joints:

Attachments

• IMG_1457[1].jpg
    IMG_1457[1].jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_1458[1].jpg
    IMG_1458[1].jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 663
Here's pictures of the front baffles, the improved woofer-mounting subframes are visible in the second picture. Earl sprayed a light coat on the right waveguide to bring out the slight blemishes when it was released from the mold. This area can be sanded smooth:
looks perfect for a small sink in my guest bath, as a replacement for one I made a waveguide out of.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.