Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2015, 05:03 AM   #1
almix12 is offline almix12  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default $2,300 Hand Wired 180W/side class D Stereo Hi-Fi Power Amp.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is a hand-wired class D power amp that puts out 180W per side at 4 ohms and safe down to 1 ohm. It has one power supply for each side to avoid interference, it has ruler flat frequency response.
The power supplies can handle anywhere from 100V-240V so no problem taking it around the world. It's also extremely efficient so it produces very little heat and uses very little electricity when idle.
It's based on Hypex amp modules. Here's a bit more information on them: Hypex Electronics BV - UcD180HG

It's also got two 50V 10,000uF capacitors before the amp modules that really make it so the amps are just coasting along, barely working, even at high volumes.

Here's a review of a near-identical amp using the exact same modules: http://the-ear.net/how-to/hypex-diy-amplifier

I'm an audio engineer by trade and I can say this amp sounds stellar. It's sounds so lifelike I've had the experience of closing my eyes and thinking a jazz trio is in my listening room. The wiring used is actually silver-cored instead of copper for better conductivity, and coated in teflon. All of the jacks are gold plated for the same reason. It's without a doubt a very beautiful sounding (and looking!) power amp.

Asking $2,000 CAD. Pretty much what it cost to build. Taking offers. I'm located in Canada but can ship worldwide.
More pictures available upon request.
Old 14th January 2015, 11:44 AM   #2
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Based on Hypex UCD180 Modules? No offense but these modules are quite inexpensive - just saw Hypex UCD400 modules selling for $50 each. What makes this amp so stellar?

I have built at least 6 Hypex (UCD180 and UCD400 - and all variants in between)- all great amps mind you, but $2k?
Old 15th January 2015, 02:15 AM   #3
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Nice try.
Old 15th January 2015, 03:15 AM   #4
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Um...

Are you asking two thousand or two hundred? Just want to make sure you didn't misplace a decimal... 2K makes no sense.
Old 15th January 2015, 05:38 AM   #5
MOER is offline MOER  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hypex amp

Almix12,

If you are an audio engineer you seem to know very little indeed.

A Hypex UCD180 module uses ST24NF10 MOSFETs which do not have enough current rating to drive 1 ohm. They are rated at 15A at 100C and have an RDs on of 0.07 ohms. Hardly the MOSFET of choice when driving 1 ohm. The losses will be immense.

Furthermore the drive circuit of the MOSFETs is a common emitter pull up device with a PNP gate pull down transistor and this scheme has zero ability to drive 1 ohm.

Oh I see that you have 10,000mfd capacitors on the rails and you say "
It's also got two 50V 10,000uF capacitors before the amp modules that really make it so the amps are just coasting along, barely working, even at high volume"

Now please explain how these magic 10,000mfd caps make the amp "coast along and are barely working even at high volume"

You must have invented the perpetual motion machine. You can have 10 million mfd and it makes no difference to the "coasting" ability or how "hard the amps works"

before you post such stuff check out your "engineering facts" and for 2300 bucks it looks like a dog's breakfast inside.

Interesting that you use silver wire. What about the copper traces on the PCBs?

What about the copper wire used for the output inductors?

What about the copper wire of the mains wiring in our houses?

What about the copper wire in the RCA cables which carry the signal to the amplifier?

What about the copper in the speaker wires?

And you actually believe that a few cm of silver wires "does the trick"

The Hypex modules I have are 100% not capable of 1 ohm operation (UC180/400/700) and none of them even perform that well into 2 ohm loads.

Wonder how much this "audio engineer" knows about what speakers present as a load to an amplifier in terms of impedance and phase angle.

Well as an audio engineer you should know that a moving coil speaker has a lagging phase angle of about 45-60 degrees as far as current is concerned and that the dissipation in the amplifier is twice that of a pure resistive load....but of course you knew this already! This affects an amplifier in a bad way especially with low Z loads.
Old 15th January 2015, 10:45 AM   #6
nycavsr2000 is offline nycavsr2000  United States
diyAudio Member

Uh oh. Did you hear that toilet flush?

:-)

Anand.
Old 15th January 2015, 12:05 PM   #7
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

He is new - poor guy...flew right into a hornets nest with that ad.

If my UCD400 were able to do 1 ohm, I would still have them...
Old 15th January 2015, 12:37 PM   #8
MBA is offline MBA  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Hard times for the currency, obviously ;-) ...
Old 15th January 2015, 06:22 PM   #9
Chamberman is offline Chamberman  United States
diyAudio Member

I realize you're proud of your achievement in constructing an audio amplifier, however as others have pointed out your price is not just out of line it's insane. You do realize that you have posted this ad on a DIY site right? Most sellers here are lucky if they get their parts value out of a sale. FYI for the price you're asking I could buy a used Pass Labs, Krell, Classe, Levinson, etc. Then if I decided to sell it in the future I could get most of my money back. If someone bought your amp they would lose 95% of their money when they sold it.

Rough wood side panels? For the price this thing should have some kind of banned Amazon rain forest hardwood side panels with 30 hand rubbed coats of clear finish.....
Old 15th January 2015, 06:29 PM   #10
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
Rough wood side panels? For the price this thing should have some kind of banned Amazon rain forest hardwood side panels with 30 hand rubbed coats of clear finish.....
It would be a violin not an amp

Hide this!Advertise here!