Need good wire. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2001, 04:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

I need 4 meters of good interconnect wire. One conductor and awesome shield should do.

I tried oxygen free copper wire from Mouser, but it was in PVC and very hard to keep the shield from contacting the center wire.

I'm using this wire for a component video connector(s). The wire I have barely works. It still puts blue lines on the screen every once in a while. I hope it's the wire anyway!

So, I'm looking for 12-18 gauge center connector and braided shield. If that doesn't do it, I'll have to get my TV looked at.
Mouser has such wire, but it's in 100' spools only. I'm not going to buy it to get 12' out of it.

Thanks,
pixie

Old 10th May 2001, 03:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

So, no one has 12' of extra wire?

Does anyone know where I can find such wire? I can find all sorts of wire, but 100' minimum.

How about this, if I buy 100' does anyone else want the other 88'?

Thanks,
pixie

Old 24th May 2001, 05:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I would suggest either the belden 89259 or 88232(I think that is right).

Both are bare copper with FEP teflon jacket and foamed teflom insulation.

The first has a stranded (18 awg?)center with a braided jacket. It is a coax design. Costs about $1/ft

the second has a solid conductor with two isolated braded jackets. It is a triax design. Costs about $2/ft.

I have used both with great success. While I don't have any extra at the moment (may have some 89259 in a couple months..but htat wont help you), you can order it from http://www.anexter.com I have seen them with spools as short as 30ft.

Good luck!

Old 14th June 2001, 04:45 PM   #4
dorkus is offline dorkus  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dorkus
pixie,

one of the absolute best coax cables i have found is Belden 1505A. it is RG59 so only 20 gauge center conductor but that doesn't matter, this cable is amazing. 2GHz bandwidth, and great for audio/video/digital signals. try buying from pacific radio (http://www.pacrad.com/index.shtml), you can buy less than 100' if you get the standard black color. i have a feeling you'll need to buy more than 12' but it's pretty cheap, just buy 40' or so and keep the extra wire handy. i also highly recommend using Canare 75ohm RCA plugs, they are excellent for video and will improve the picture further... you will need to get a coax cable crimper though, any decent $15 generic one will do.

marc

Old 21st September 2001, 05:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Try GEPCO wire and cable in Chicago. GEPCO is the choice of almost all of the large network broadcasters. They manufacture all of their products and they are really first class! They will sell you any length of any of their products you want to buy. They are also have a huge inventory of connectors, patch bays, and breakout boxes for building your own.
http://www.gepco.com
Mark Gulbrandsen

[Edited by Mark Gulbrandsen on 09-20-2001 at 11:13 PM]

Old 24th December 2001, 08:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Wire

The best! Get it from Chimera Labs in Dallas,Tx
<http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/index.html>
the finest OFC made

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!