• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Black Gates

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some old stock :
0.22uF /50V PK series -$2 each
0.33uF/50V PK series--$2 each
4.7uF/100V STD series -$12 each
33uF/160V STD (300B SE cathode bypass) -$27 each
I will send worldwide , paypal , money order accepted .

Attachments

• na sprzedaz 062.JPG
    na sprzedaz 062.JPG
    802.1 KB · Views: 432
  • na sprzedaz 064.JPG
    na sprzedaz 064.JPG
    397.9 KB · Views: 410
  • na sprzedaz 068.JPG
    na sprzedaz 068.JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 396
I bought this lot from defunct audio business in California. They said they purchased stock directly from Jelmax in 2006. I think I can be reasonably sure that they are original.
The 4.7/100V is rated at 85 C while the 33/160V is rated at 105 C , maybe that's where suffix H comes in play. I have many PK type 0.22uF and 0.33uF/50v I guess they should be fine for PSU bypasses and coupling positions but only a few 33uF/160V and 4.7/100V.
Thanks, L

Last edited:
I did not get it as an H series but standard series . According to Sonic Craft which sells them at $35 each the dimension of 33uF/160V is 20mm x 12.5 mm. These capacitors measure exactly the same . I checked them on simple RLC meter and on 400uF range 10 capacitors measured between 31.1uF to 31.5uF. . The ESR measured betwen 0.32 and 0.34 on all 10 . The last picture is from the bottom 4.7uF/100V , 10uF/250V and 33uF/160V. All of them came in the same lot. Also these are USA sourced caps.
It know it doesn't have to mean anything since the only fake caps I bought were 220uF/500V Cerafines and I bought them guess where ? -from Germany !
Greetings , L

Attachments

• black gate 010.JPG
    black gate 010.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 68
  • black gate 009.JPG
    black gate 009.JPG
    313.5 KB · Views: 60
  • black gate 007.JPG
    black gate 007.JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 66
  • black gate 005.JPG
    black gate 005.JPG
    356.7 KB · Views: 72
  • black gate 003.jpg
    black gate 003.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 290
  • black gate 002.JPG
    black gate 002.JPG
    804 KB · Views: 319
Hmm maybe you're right. These are the only ones to have ferro wires. Still it would be strange that forgers would go to the extent of getting the size , value and print pretty much right just to screw so badly adding a series suffix it never existed. Maybe I should open up one ?

Since I'm not a cap expert and over they years bought only a handful of Black Gates.I have an offer to make. I bought those caps in good faith from supposedly reliable source in USA . I will offer those suspect 2x 33uF/160V free shipping included to the person who will confirm their credentials and post credible opinion here. The condition is if they are Black Gates you can keep them ,if not you will be obligated to send them back :)
Thanks ,

Well , there is a chance they are not fakes after all . Here is an email exchange with Sonic Craft - distributor of BG's and other fine esoteric parts in USA .

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sep 25, 2013 10:21 PM

Subject: RE: Black gate

The "H" on that part is legit.

Regards,

Jeff Glowacki

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:52pm
To: mail@soniccraft.com
Subject: Black gate

Hi
I acquired a few pieces of Black Gate 33uF/160V standard capacitors .They are rated at 105 C degrees and have Black Gate H designation. The dimensions are 20mmx12mm which match the ones you are selling.The source of the caps seemed to be legitimate but now because of the H suffix I don't know if the caps are real. I only bother you because no other sources of those caps seem to exist.
Warm regards,

Last edited:
I will send a sample to SonicCraft . They still have them in stock and graciously agreed to inspect it. I will disassemble one as well and post a picture next week when I'm home from medical check up. If they are fakes they are closer to real deal than we thought. At least the "H" part designation is correct. It is entirely possible that Jelmax was "cheaping out" on wires on some products or it was manufacturing decision for higher temperature rated part.
Meanwhile I still have plenty of perfectly legit looking non ferrous leads 0,22uF/50V PK
0,33uF/50v PK , 4.7uF /100V Std . I'd think they could be useful as PSU bypasses instead of film caps .
Regards, L

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That looks like a real one.

Still:

1. no documentation exists of this series
2. it has ferro wires.
3. 105 degree versions were not available

Try finding any info on H series ! Even distributor does not know of H series so it is suspicious. I can only think that these were produced for a manufacturer (OEM). You will get the same ansers/remarks from buyers again I guess.

Sonic Craft in USA still sells them as a standard series which I guess they are. I think you're right that they may be an OEM item to meet the special requirements (105 degree and leads) and might not been available in this version on all markets.

It would be only fair to note that I'm trying to sell a few of them and the remarks that "they are absolutely fakes " and that "looks" like real one are not actually very promising .:D BUT I thank you for your insight. Without it I wouldn't probably cut that cap open....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.