• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Horns and Waveguides

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pretty much retired from DIY so I need to pair things down. Its silly because I had so many great ideas but no follow through (sound familiar?) as life got in the way.

I am in Toronto.

11Horns 140hz LeCleach Mahogany horns with 4" throat. These were custom made by Jeffrey Jackson's now defunct (truly sad) Elevenhorns.com. That means you couldn't get these now if you wanted. If you could they would be north of $4000/pair. I am asking roughly half that. They were custom made with a 4" throats and currently set up to use Faital's 5" mids. The choice of this driver comes from extensive research and discussions with those who have built and used such large horns over this intended operating range (~185hz-1khz). Shipping will be highly onerous. $1900/pr

11Horns 1.4" throat OblateSpheroidal/LeCleach mouth roll-back custom made horns roughly 20-something" in diameter (IIRC). Solid Mahogany Horns - $1200/pr

Attachments

• 572599-140hz_lecleach_mahogany_horns_big.jpg
    572599-140hz_lecleach_mahogany_horns_big.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,233
  • 572602-140hz_lecleach_mahogany_horns_big.jpg
    572602-140hz_lecleach_mahogany_horns_big.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,217
  • 572601-140hz_lecleach_mahogany_horns_big.jpg
    572601-140hz_lecleach_mahogany_horns_big.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,207
  • 572600-140hz_lecleach_mahogany_horns_big.jpg
    572600-140hz_lecleach_mahogany_horns_big.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,197
Last edited:
Some pictures of the DDS waveguides (from the back, the front is shiny and hard to get good perspective)...

18Sound horns pictures also

Attachments

• 20130902_140944.jpg
    20130902_140944.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 330
  • 20130902_140956.jpg
    20130902_140956.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 20130902_141051.jpg
    20130902_141051.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 200
For those who've inquired about the big mahogany horns, I thought I'd reply in public for others' benefit.

I was planning a large scale 3+ way horn system. I actually have a big thread with a lot of detail about what I was planning over at audiocircle.com. Here is the thread:
The speaker project (dialup warning)

Roughly a complete system would look like bass bins for ~180hz on down. 140hz big horns with the Faital 5" or Fane Studio 8M for 180hz-800hz. EighteenSound 1460A 1.4" throat drivers on the smaller custom mahogany horns from 800hz on up. I'm willing to sell the drivers for someone interested in putting together a system.

The 140hz horns did have some seperation (as did all of the horns made, which is one of the reasons they don't make them anymore). In truth it isn't a very big deal and would be easy to fill. I was planning to do that when I dyed them (was going for bombay mahogany look) that I never got around to doing. The smaller horns didn't crack or seperate, only the big ones.

I designed the large horn around the Faital 5" mid, but I think I acquired some 8" FANE woofers that could be used as well. I will sell either with the horns. The big horns were meant to be used from ~140-180hz up to 800hz-1khz on the upper range. The upper midrange horns were designed for ~700hz on up using the 18 Sounds 1460A 1.4" throat driver (awesome driver). I will sell these with the horns.

I am not selling my bass bins as I spent way too much time and effort building them. But I do have a pair of unused AE TD18H+s that would be perfect for bass bins below the horns. I will sell those if you are interested in putting a whole system together.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Josh - I'm in Ottawa and new to horns. Could you point me to a thread where details of the 1.4 inch mahogany horn are described? You can PM or email me. I was also wondering how the CD driver is mounted on one of these. Wonderful horns that you have for sale...

Cheers - Pierre

I sent you a message, but essentially this is an oblate spheroidal waveguide with a Le'Cleach inspired mouth rollback since these were intended to be used free standing, not mounted in a box. The first inch of the waveguide is removeable and bolted onto the rest. With this removed, one bolts on the CD.

It seems in general tough to sell stuff in Canada. I get lots of Americans inquiring about various wares for sale, but rarely Canadians (even considering 1/10th the population). Unfortunately the cross border shipping is costly and makes the deal less interesting to all involved. Oh well, just lamenting.

I realize these are quite large horns, which makes them harder to work with in smaller spaces which is my problem. However, they are also rare as hen's teeth and beautiful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.