• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Aikido Tube Preamplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is Aikido tube preamplifier that I built for myself and was enjoying it for quite a while. I am selling it to fund my numerous other projects that are awaiting completion.

This preamp is built on a custom aluminum chassis with 6n1p - 6n6p tube pairs using Hammond iron, Alps Blue volume pot, Kiwame, Dale, and TKD CM2 resistors, audiophile grade capacitors, teflon silver cable - all highest quality parts I could source.
It has two pairs of RCA inputs and one pair of outputs.

$625 PayPal shipped in CONUS.

Attachments

• Aikido 035.jpg
    Aikido 035.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 1,060
  • Aikido 041.jpg
    Aikido 041.jpg
    767.2 KB · Views: 1,035
  • Aikido 034.jpg
    Aikido 034.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 981
Last edited:
I realize that inside pic is outdated - it was taken before significant upgrades were done: Hammond filter choke in power supply, coupling caps are K40-Y9 PIO...

This preamp has raised eyebrows of local audiophiles and some were embarrassed to hear this preamp to outperform their high dollar units.

Here's the current pic of the inside of preamp.

Attachments

• IMG471.jpg
    IMG471.jpg
    826.7 KB · Views: 773
Hi

I am interested to know, after you add choke in the preamp, did you hear the difference and what is your comment on that?
I am about to finish aikido preamp soon and still I didn't put choke inside as I thought to try it without it and afterwards to add the choke.

thanks

Hi

I am interested to know, after you add choke in the preamp, did you hear the difference and what is your comment on that?
I am about to finish aikido preamp soon and still I didn't put choke inside as I thought to try it without it and afterwards to add the choke.

thanks

There is a big difference in sound, particularly in dynamics and detail. Choke provides lower DCR and therefore low voltage drop in power supply, not to mention lower noise. 10H 65ma Hammond choke will be enough here.

There is a big difference in sound, particularly in dynamics and detail. Choke provides lower DCR and therefore low voltage drop in power supply, not to mention lower noise. 10H 65ma Hammond choke will be enough here.

Thank you for the reply.

I was thinking to add 8-10H max 100 mA (50-70mA is enough) just, I need to find smallest choke size as possible, as my case isn't roomy enough.

Hi

I check few threads for Aikido design and I want to ask you again, if you don't mind, that I have same setup of tubes 6N1P and 6N6P, so the question is, in your design what resistors you use Rk for the input tube and Rk for the output tube?

thanks

Attachments

• aikido.JPG
    aikido.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 285
the value of Rk largely depends on B+ at the anode. Let's say you have 250V at the top anode, that's 125V per triode, Rk for 6n1p and 6n6p could be anywhere from 150R to 470R depending on what you like in the sound. 6n series russian novals like to be run hot. I would use 330R at 250V, but again you have to experiment with the values of anode (final CRC) resistors, cathode resistors, and B+; even the values and type of grid stoppers make a difference. I use the same values for input and output tubes.
Using high quality parallel resistors in the last CRC stage will cut the resistor thermal noise in half.

The pic you attached is that of White Cathode Follower, not strictly Aikido...

Last edited:
the value of Rk largely depends on B+ at the anode. Let's say you have 250V at the top anode, that's 125V per triode, Rk for 6n1p and 6n6p could be anywhere from 150R to 470R depending on what you like in the sound. 6n series russian novals like to be run hot. I would use 330R at 250V, but again you have to experiment with the values of anode (final CRC) resistors, cathode resistors, and B+; even the values and type of grid stoppers make a difference. I use the same values for input and output tubes.
Using high quality parallel resistors in the last CRC stage will cut the resistor thermal noise in half.

The pic you attached is that of White Cathode Follower, not strictly Aikido...

Ok.
Yes, psu is 250 on B+, and I put 430 ohms /Rk for both tubes [all four].
I think I have to decrease resistor for 6N1P to 220 ohms as I saw in documentation to reach 5mA. But for 6N6P there is not any data on resistor value.
Can you please, post schematics you're referring.. I would like to see if I did something wrong.

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.