FS: 8th note relay Stepped Attenuator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2013, 09:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up FS: 8th note relay Stepped Attenuator

December update:
Hi there,

I am updating, because the SE stepped attenuators are available again in a limited quantity.
For those who are looking for a balanced version, I have some information below as well.

SE version:
There are exactly 3 SE sets for sale. No more, no less.
The attenuator is assembled and tested. Remote supplied.
Documentation can be downloaded from here.

BALANCED version:
On request I give away one extra relay PCB for free with every SE purchase, including a list of parts.
Those who are willing to do some work can get a balanced professional attenuator for a real bargain.
(the offer is valid with an SE purchase, and includes an unpopulated extra PCB only on request from the buyer)

------------------
Detailed product info is at: 8th note - Stepped attenuator details page

Click the image to open in full size.
Price is €100 (approx 133USD) + shipping
I accept PayPal only.

Shipping option and cost:
I post worldwide. EMS Express is recommended but to some country I can offer cheaper insured priority mail.
Please ask me about shipping options to your country.

Happy December to all!

Last edited by Earfanatic; 6th December 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 16th June 2013, 10:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Interesting. I still can't wrap my head around "LULO" - why not just use rotary encoder or two buttons with 5-10 leds indicating position?
Old 17th June 2013, 08:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The pot always gives a specific value at a specific position. Also the best knobs around have position marks too. For example see these beauties:
Results for Case, Feet & Knob:Knobs
They all have position marks!
I wanted to mod some old but still nice amplifiers, and avoid the need of displays. This is why the main concept was to use a pot. It is natural, and I personally like it more than rotary encoders.

The remote came secondary.
To keep this concept something needed to avoid volume jumps when switching between remote and the pot. This is the logic, LULO. Nothing special but a comparator that prohibits the pot even if it moves, until you turn it down, to prevent accidental volume increase.

With a rotary encoder You need several turns for 128 levels, and you never know its position unless you have some kind of display too.
Old 19th June 2013, 12:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Display upgrades:

Custom displays can be designed and built for the attenuator. More about this in the Vendors bazaar forum:
8th note Balanced Stepped Attenuators
Old 19th June 2013, 11:34 PM   #5
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Would love to see a version with balance option, but love the use of a potentiometer v. rotary encoder, and overall it seems a very slick solution.

I bought a switch based stepped attenuator for this only to find I'd not left sufficient room. Your solution might be just the ticket, I think I even have an extra winding I can use for the DC supply.

Aikido Amplifier... Or how to twist your electron's wrist. Article By Jeff Poth
Old 22nd June 2013, 08:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Badman! The channel balance function would need two complete units, as the controller drives the relay boards equally stacked below, you can not set the left and right channel differently. Although reading a second pot trough one of the headers with a custom firmware would be possible, each channel must be on different relay board. This would double to the cost. For sure, driving 2 channels differently would need twice as many relays in any relay attenuator design, and those are the most expensive parts of them.
Old 6th December 2013, 05:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hy there, first post is updated as I have SE stepped attenuators for sale again. Thank You!

Hide this!Advertise here!