• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Alpair 10.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member

Attachments

• IMG_3708.JPG
    IMG_3708.JPG
    898.8 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_3710.JPG
    IMG_3710.JPG
    883.3 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yeah I've been dealt the same disappointment 3 times from MA.... Not too sturdy them light aluminum cones with the Xmax these drivers have.

That's 3 times too many. Honeymoon's over. The delicate flower excuse gets old. I did not detect any anomalies with that driver so if that's all takes to make it worthless then I am not going to bother. They will get better use in a recycling bin.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

The close-up picture does not look like mishandling to me -- it looks like the metal cone deformed due to extreme mechanical stress while operating. To my eyes, anyway, having blown some a couple different ways.

I like the drivers, I just keep blowing them because their clear sound makes me want them a bit louder. Incidentally, I've never blown any other drivers except MA's. I'll buy some again but I have to factor in this risk of short lifespan into the (otherwise reasonable) cost.

All things considered, still a fan, though.

Well the damage I've encountered has been more stress fractures surrounding the outer edge of the cone right at the surround. I've had three sets of MA drivers all fail the same way. Two sets in your dMarKen cabinets (no fault of the cab) and an alpair 10.2 in a TL. All three sets had the same stress cracks running perpendicular to the surround, and in all three cases the volume was around 90dB with no warning until a buzz is heard from the cracks. Amps were 8 watt Wave DT by Antique sound labs, a 50W set of DIY gainclones, and a YAQIN MC-550B @ 18W (not mine). I do have three damaged CHR-70's here but a picture seems pretty hard to capture the cracks properly in... believe me I've tried.

It depends on the kind of music material you are listening to. It does not need 90dB to create the stress line or cracks with certain music. Look for other drivers if MA doesnt work for you. I enjoy my MA drivers but switch to other speakers if i want some very hard dynamic music.

Good point Dave, if he'll pay shipping I think I'd send him one for evaluation. Just seems too coincidental that three sets of drivers all had failures. I believe I have a CHR-70 sitting in my office somewhere.

neoinc: Music tastes should have absolutely nothing to do with the performance and longevity of said drivers. And as most of my musical tastes revolve around Jazz and live performances I doubt they would effect the breakdown of a driver.

You should contact Mark and see if he'dlike them back for teardown and assessment,

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.