• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Lowther Cabinets, Alnico Woofers, Fostex and Coral Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Selling a few random speaker-related items which might be of interest to the DIY crowd. I'm happy to email full-sized pics.

Lowther Cabinets -$400/pr

A pair of first-gen Acousta type cabinets originally sold by Lowther-America. (This was the Medallion I) Clearly they've seen better days, some veneer damage, and surface scratching. They need to be refinished, but are solidly made from multilayer birch plywood. They sound good with Lowthers, but can also be used with Altec 755A or 755C speakers and many other small fullrange drivers. I have a pair of adapter rings that let you mount 755's to the Lowther bolt pattern. These can be shipped in the US for about $100 to $140 depending on how far you are from Chicago. Big discount if you pick them up from 60618.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Coral 8CX-1 full-range coaxial speakers - $100/pr

While not quite a true full-range speaker, the tweeters give a smooth and gentle extension of frequency response. These sound killer in rear loaded horns. I first put a pair of these in the Medallion II cabinets around 1999 or so. Unfortunately these tweeters are often blown and so I only had one at that time. This pair has working tweeters and sound very good.

Fostex FE83E full-range in Makore veneered double bass reflex cabinets - $200/pr

A pair of Fostex FE83E in the Fostex-designed double bass reflex cabinet. These are finished in Makore veneer, and have solid copper Edison binding posts. They're in nice shape, but have some imperfections - you can see details in the pics.

Pair of alnico 15" woofers, Pioneer PW382 - $150/pr

A pair of Pioneer PW382 aluminum cast-frame alnico woofers. These have cones that were made by Coral in japan - the heavy paper with veined-pattern on the back makes for a very responsive but well damped cone. These have a smooth extended response, not as peaky as Altec drivers. Slightly different eras of the same design. Super bargain alnico woofer for hi-fi.

The Lowther cabinets are still for sale. I have been in contact with DJNUBZ, but haven't gotten a response to my PM to JohnTheRevelator. When in July are you coming to Chicago?

I listed the smaller items on ebay, as well as a bunch of other transformers, chokes, Altec woofers, horn drivers, and a few tubes:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/tronan/m.html

The Alnico Pioneer woofers are at $49.99:
PAIR Pioneer PW382A aluminum cast-frame alnico woofers from CS63 | eBay

Fostex FE83E in cabinets are at $99:
Fostex FE83E full-range drivers in Makore veneered double bass reflex cabinets | eBay

No bids on the Coral speakers, but 22 watchers:
Coral 8CX-1 Alnico Full-range Coaxial Vintage Speakers fullrange co-axial | eBay

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.