Nice eBay find for chip amp power supply Avel toroids cheap - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2012, 09:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Nice eBay find for chip amp power supply Avel toroids cheap

(1 PAIR) Avel Lindberg Toroidal Transformer AV-66938 (Ideal for Chip Amp) | eBay

Thought i would pass this along....not mine but looks like a great deal for someone wanting to build a chip amp or similar....28-0-28v around 2.5a...
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I ordered a pair of these before I saw your post. They shipped quickly, but he forgot the mounting hardware. Says he'll ship them right away. They are about 160VA @ 30-0-30v. I have taken the insulation off one of them, removed center tap, removed about 20 windings to get it to around 25v + 25v. I have to say I wasn't too impressed with the winding quality from Avel on these (lots of overlaps, looks sloppy) but they work. Running one in my LM3875 amp, seems to work just fine. Just my two cents
Old 23rd May 2012, 06:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Got mine too....was going to use a regulated supply to bring the voltage down on mine...didnt think to unwind them, interesting concept....
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I had also considered using one of my regulators to bring down voltage, but I felt like it was too much voltage drop for my regulator. Also didn't have space in my case to add vreg, so unwinding was best option for me. Smashing a roll of electrical tape flat let me re-wrap when I was finished. Also saw a site where a guy dipped his Toroid in plastidip after modification, looked really nice.
Changing the output voltage of a toroidal transformer
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You can also wind bucking turns to drop the voltage. It is often easier!
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I had to laugh when I saw this advertised as "ideal for chip amps". This is ideally suited to exceed the maximum rail voltage of most chip amps, which is about +/-40V - that will let the smoke out... This is NOT well suited for chip amps (well, maybe for destroying them) unless you want to unwind turns (a hassle IMHO) as other posters have shown.

On the other hand, at TWO FOR $27 160VA, this isn't a bad deal for the DIYer, or for a 50 WPC solid state amp that can operate from 40V rails. For comparison, a new Antek (New Jersey, USA) 200VA toroidal transformer that has dual 25V secondaries (what you need for an 8 ohm load chip amp) costs $29 each.

-Charlie

Hide this!Advertise here!