Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2012, 04:09 AM   #1
TB is offline TB  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 34-step attenuators for sell

Hello,
About 8 years ago my friend told me about inventory sale of the firm which produced marine equipment ( I did not pay attention to their name ). The firm was moving to new location and some of their inventory was put on sale. Looking through shelves I have noticed box with big potentiometers. One of the engineers said these are series 34-step 25 Kohms log attenuators. I did not expect them to be made for audio,but the switches were impresive. I bought them for the purpose of converting them into volume controls for my DIY preamp projects. As the engineer said they look as very good quality switches. The front of the pot and shaft are made of stainless steel. Output contacts are gold plated. I am not sure about the internal contact material. The switch is of make-before-brake type. On one of the pictures my pen points to screw which adjust rotation torque. The pot has very nice feeling when screw is removed. I have 8 of them. Two of the pots were converted by me into volume attenuators ( I have never used them. I used carbon composition resistors for this purpose ). The rest is untouched. I am being forced to sell them for economical reason. Attenuators were made by Tech. Lab. INC from Palisades Park in New Jersey. Majority of used resistors in orginal pots are Dales. The last few steps use regular wire instead of resistors. The marked type is PF.833.2.B and serial numbers are: 0778. Please note: I did not used them as volume controls yet. I am not sure about their sound quality in current setup. They do use Dale resistors, but they also use wire instead of resistors for few steps. They might sound great as such, but I bought them as base for my own step attenuators. I ask $55 per attenuator ( I paid $90 when I bought them ). Please let me know if you are interested.

Last edited by TB; 17th April 2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 17th April 2012, 04:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think I need help....I have images of attenuators stored locally on my computer. How to attach them? The attache image option asks for image url.
Old 17th April 2012, 04:16 AM   #3
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

I might be interested in a pair of these...

Can you post a picture? Are these two gang or four gang?

Regards,
Owen
Old 17th April 2012, 04:18 AM   #4
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Below the main text box click on "Manage attachments" then just click on "browse" in the top box in the pop-up. Find the file, wait for it to upload and you should be good to go.

Regards,
Owen
Old 17th April 2012, 04:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sounds like they'd probably work OK as they are. How about some pictures?
Old 17th April 2012, 04:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

OK, let's try this:
Other DIY - My Photo Gallery

Pictures are named: 34-step Attenuator. One of them shows comparison with Alps Blue pot. Diameter of the pot is 2", hight 2". It is single gang.
I did try to contact maker of these pots, but I was unable to locate them. Some net search brings their name, but without contact info. I am not sure, but it looks like the wire used instead of resistors is golden plated.

Last edited by TB; 17th April 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 17th April 2012, 04:30 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

testing...
Old 17th April 2012, 04:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

It's 9:30 PM where I am...why does this site say I posted at 4:30 AM? Did I miss setting a time zone parm somewhere in my profile?
Old 17th April 2012, 04:49 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The time here is: 12:49 AM
Old 17th April 2012, 06:38 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB View Post
I ask $55 per attenuator ( I paid $90 when I bought them ).

Goodness, those marine sharks skinned you alive

These look not too different to some of the Daven switches inside. Contact material is quite possibly silver.

Yet the currently produced Shallco seem cheaper, better and fit slim line cases.

Hide this!Advertise here!