home-cooked 2-way speakers $500 shipped - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2012, 05:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default home-cooked 2-way speakers $500 shipped

If you live in continental USA you can have these for $500, $600 if you live on Hawaii, Alaska or Canada. If you live elsewhere in the world and are desperate for very good sound, contact me. But it's gonna' cost you.

They are ugly grayish-black cabinets, and bumped-and-sucked-out dust caps on the BIC 6.5" paper cone woofers. No grilles. The Boston tweeters are 1 1/8" and one soft dome has a small hole in it which doesn't affect the sound. Looks like the tip of a needle went through, wasn't me, I bought them used as a tweak project. Very clean-sounding drivers on their own and the home-cooked crossover, second order, is playing in-phase when the speakers are tilted a bit backwards. There is home-made PVC porting sticking up through the top of the cabinet as an experiment, now sealed with duct tape because it pulled out too much low base. Sealed cabinets. The cabinets do not vibrate, the sound is even and lush, expensive-sounding. The perfect speakers for anyone who has come to the realization very good sound is very difficult to come by. They play best at low and mid volume. Not a good fit for drunk, loud-*** parties. For the mature audiophile. The crossover point is 1750 Hz and the capacitors used are polyester and polyethylene, air core inductors, audio resistors. The Zobel on the woofer is using a non-polarized electrolytic with a polyester by-pass. Probably the cleanest-sounding speakers you will listen to in your life time. All parts came from other speakers or parts bought new to complete the project. The screw holes for the woofers were rotated slightly to get new grip in the particle board after the last tweak, each woofer being the mirror of the other regarding the screws. 6 ohm, 20 Watt. Insured shipping. Paypal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neutralsound.JPG (64.9 KB, 848 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08356.JPG (301.5 KB, 882 views)
Old 12th April 2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Let's stay clear of insults. This a For Sale Forum.
Old 13th April 2012, 02:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

This is going to become a "classic" thread...
Old 13th April 2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

No, no it isn't. You guys have been warned. Next one to step out of line does some time.
Old 13th April 2012, 06:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately second hand DIY is often worth a lot less that you paid for it.

I agree with everyone here, they look DIY.
Old 13th April 2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

If you are not interested in purchasing the speakers, you don't need to post here. This is not a subjective evaluation thread. The market will be the arbiter of value.
Old 1st May 2012, 05:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

"Välkommen till vår lilla planet" means Welcome to our little planet.

Price lowered to $350. Tried a pair of Vifa tweeters but went back to the Boston.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEjut5o2Gik
Old 1st May 2012, 06:17 PM   #8
DrDyna is online now DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

In your original post, you stated the crossover point as 1750 hz, however in your youtube video comment, it says 3000 hz, could you clarify? Also, would it be possible to see a crossover schematic and perhaps some explanation and measurements?
Old 1st May 2012, 10:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Apparently they continue to be my tweaker project, with no buyers. I'm thinking, I'm tweaking, and I'm learning. I have so many crossover components I can play around at will. Failing teaches one alot, more so than trying to force one's mindset onto reality and call it a successful day. One shouldn't be afraid of experimenting. Without experimenting as a check againt theory I would not be able to produce sound this good. DrDyna, you can have them for $500 shipped to Canada and then you can disect the crossover at your own pace and think hard about what it means. For just $500? Come on. It's the best money investment you will ever make in audio.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:57 PM   #10
DrDyna is online now DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
DrDyna, you can have them for $500 shipped to Canada and then you can disect the crossover at your own pace and think hard about what it means. For just $500? Come on. It's the best money investment you will ever make in audio.
Unless there's about 100 lbs of copper in the crossover, I don't think I'd be interested unheard, untested and undocumented.

I was really hoping there would be ...something... in the way of a measurement at least, I mean, I have a pair of Paul Carmody's Classix II sitting here that I built for fun and am not even using. All told I have about $200 in them. The design is published with parts and schematics including why they were chosen, measurements and listening impressions.

I might be willing to purchase the speakers you have, but that's not going to happen without knowing what's in the box, detailed specifications and measurements of both speakers, considering they both appear to be damaged.

Edit: For clarification, I don't need to think very hard about "what your crossover means" I can sim it myself if there were some specifications and schematic provided.

Last edited by DrDyna; 1st May 2012 at 11:00 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!