Monster Two-Chassis 6V6 PP amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2012, 02:40 AM   #1
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Monster Two-Chassis 6V6 PP amp

This amplifier is documented here and there on this forum and in the Audiophile Talk forum. The signal circuitry is Eli Duttman's "El Cheapo" and the power supply is a giant choke input. While the original design was supposed to be simple, my version is a two chassis, 45lb monster. It uses many recycled parts, like the hefty Sherwood OPTs, the giant Stancor input choke, the motor runs caps (there are only a couple of 'lytics in this!) and the chassis. Many of the signal parts of from Jim McShane, aside from the fancy stuff like Russian Teflon coupling caps. The nfb is switchable, as is UL operation. I spent a great deal of time and treasure on this amplifier, and it might be the best I've heard in my house. The PS does hum faintly sometimes. Other times it doesn't. It depends a bit on the line. I'd be happy to bore you with construction details as necessary. It does have an input selector. If memory serves, it is wired for four inputs and a "pre" out. The 4 and 8 ohm taps are hooked up, the 16 ohm pair is tied off.

It comes with the fantastic reproduction Tung Sol 6V6s, and a couple of pairs of carefully selected 12AT7s (including some black plate Sylvanias chosen for their close section matching), and all the caps should you decide to try the stock voltage doubler design (they are new and unused, $70 worth of parts right there!).

Normally, I wouldn't sell the "best amplifier I've heard." But, I'm headed to law school in the fall. I will have to fit into a much smaller residence, and I doubt I'll have as much time for audio. Also, this amp deserves to be driven full range. In my current bi-amped open baffle system, I don't have a use for an amp with great bass and great treble.

This was my baby, and I spent far more than I should have (about $700 overall; don't tell my wife). I've had it advertised at $400 locally (well, in Colorado) off and on to no avail. Make me an offer. It might need to be shipped in two separate boxes. Feel free to ask questions. I'll try and come up with more pics.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TubeAmp.jpg (145.4 KB, 148 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!